12. Cotton Candy

Letting the boys join was a great decision. Cameron, Jacob, Brad, and Kyle were really funny, especially when they were together. It didn't seem awkward at all for them to have Camille and I in on their shenanigans and I didn't feel like a weird outsider. It was actually pretty nice. Camille was currently being dragged ahead of me by Jacob and Brad while Kyle had stopped a couple stalls ago to grab a lemonade. Cameron and I were following quietly from a distance.

"Sorry, I know they can be a bit much," Cameron said as Camille giggled at something Jacob said. I raised my eyebrow at him and he continued, "I didn't know if you two had planned to have such a loud afternoon. You strike me as a bit of a quiet type."

Without thinking I started to laugh. "I am most definitely not the quiet type! If I had a dollar for every time somebody told me I was too loud, tuition after graduation wouldn't be such a big concern." Cameron smiled and gave me a bit of a questioning look.

"So, are you just quiet around me then?" His question made me blush immediately and I looked to the ground again.

"No, well yes, no that isn't what I meant..." I stammered feeling more embarrassed than I already was. Cameron laughed and I felt my stomach fill with butterflies. I cursed it because it wasn't helping my flustered state. "What I really meant was, no, it isn't you in particular. I am a pretty quiet person until I really know a person, then I can't control my volume, but I still feel like we just met. I don't mean to be standoffish, if that's what is bothering you."

"It isn't bothering me at all now," he said as he picked up some tickets a group of young girls dropped and returned them. "I just wanted to make sure I wasn't annoying you or anything if you're normally not a quiet person."

I smiled as our gazes met and decided to tease him. "Well, I didn't say anything about the annoying part."

I had barely finished my sentence before I felt a push and was stumbling away from the group with a laugh. Cameron and I horsed around for a little bit, playfully pushing and shoving before I found myself sitting on the pavement in the middle of the carnival with Cameron looking at me in surprise. I laughed one more time before Cameron reached down to help me back to my feet.

"Well, I think I'm going to have to get to know you a lot better if this is what you're like when you know a person." His smile was enough to make me want to melt back down to the pavement. Instead, I blushed and tried to let go of his hands as Camille called from up ahead.

"Ana!" She was sitting on Jacob's shoulders now. "The tea cups are just up ahead!"

I took off in a light jog to catch up with the rest of the group and I knew Cameron was just behind me. The six of us squeezed into one tea cup together, which was difficult considering how bony Kyle was and how broad Jacob's shoulders were. I was squished between Camille and Cameron, which I only realized as the ride began to lurch into movement.

Immediately, Kyle and Brad took control of the spinning plate in the middle. They were very quick in getting our momentum going so that I was pressed tightly into Cameron because Camille and Jacob were being pushed into me. I couldn't stop the embarrassing giggle-scream that escaped my mouth as we continued to build speed due to the wild boys controlling our cup. No sooner had the noise escaped me, I felt Cameron's arm wrap over my shoulders and miraculously fit between Camille and I to rest against my side.

Even though the air was ridiculously humid, I didn't mind the heat that was radiating from Cameron. Though it was oddly comforting, I kept thinking about the rolls on my hips or the slight sweat covering my skin that he could probably feel. I turned my head and tried to make eye contact with Camille but it was useless. She was too busy making googly eyes at Jacob to notice the mental turmoil I was putting myself through.