13. Butterscotch Praline

Walking to work the next morning, I felt like I was high on spending time with Cameron. I was a little bit confused as to what yesterday was; whether we were just hanging out in a group or if I could technically say we spent most of the day together just us. I wasn't letting my need for clarification bother me though. I had so much fun and it felt like it was radiating off of my body.

The brightness of my mood continued into the opening clean at work. Even Bryan couldn't sour my mood. The counters shone and I had enough time to colour code our sprinkle assortment. When Frank walked into the shop as I was turning on the open sign, he let out a large whistle with his smile.

"My goodness you two have this place in top shape." Bryan slid his phone under the counter after hearing Frank begin to speak. "I'm sure this place with be packed this week. Themes only work so long until they get boring and old."

I nodded and smiled while absentmindedly wiping the counter. I didn't think voicing how I thought the theme would work well with the tourists would go over well with him after our last conversation about The Creamery. Bryan, on the other hand, took his chance to kiss Frank's butt.

"Of course, sir," he said. "Ana and I have been keeping this place immaculate for whenever people realize that Sweet Thing is a cheap scheme. She's been doing really well under my guidance too." I felt like gagging. Frank clapped Bryan on the back in that weird way boys seem to communicate. I seethed under my breath. Bryan needed a wake up call that playing Minecraft and ignoring me was not the same thing as being a mentor. It isn't like I'm learning aerospace engineering either, I'm scooping ice cream for tourists.

"Keep up the good work, kids," Frank said before dumping some coin rolls in the cash register. "I'll see you whenever I have time to pop by again."

As soon as Frank cleared the front window, Bryan was tapping on his phone again. I grabbed the broom and swept the sand Frank had tracked inside back onto the sidewalk. The day was looking up because there wasn't a line to the corner to get into Sweet Thing yet. That was a new development.

I grabbed a napkin and a pen out of the cup on the counter. I sat on a cracked vinyl stool and began to sketch. I sketched for an hour and a half uninterrupted by any customers, and by the end I had a super rough idea on how I would create a photo wall in the store. I tucked my napkin under the counter and hid it under an unopened box of tasting spoons. I moved into trying to smooth every container of opened ice cream, only to scoop and smooth each flavour all over again ten minutes later.

When it was finally time for my break, we still hadn't had any customers. The only solace was that it was a bit of a grey day and Sweet Thing hadn't been overly busy either. I know because I had plenty of free-time to stare out the window so far. I hung my apron and made my way over to see Camille.

"I am so dead, are you dead?"

"Hello to you too Crabby." I smiled as Camille rested her head against the counter in response to my words.

"You're no fun," she whined.

I set my lunch bag on the counter and turned to my best friend. "Well, maybe if you hadn't stayed up until two on the phone with Jacob you would be thinking differently." Camille groaned and stood up to grab her lunch. I tucked in while she was gone and even rang a customer through.

"How did your night go?" she asked when she came back from the back. I tried to talk around the mouthful of sandwich I had in my mouth, but quickly gave up until I was done chewing.

"It was good," I answered. "It took me a little bit to calm down and actually fall asleep but once I was asleep I slept like the dead."

"Typical of you," Camille laughed. "How has work been?"

"As dead as how I slept," I said dryly making Camille laugh again. "I understand that Frank has sentimental attachment to the building but in a business sense I think things have to change. Even though apparently I'm 'doing a good job under Bryan's guidance,' which is absolute b.s."

Camille rolled her eyes. "Lovely to see that Frank being a family friend doesn't eliminate workplace nonsense."

We finished our lunch while chatting and then I had to head back to The Creamery. By the time I got back into the store, Frank was back which was a little concerning. As the bell ringed announcing my arrival, Frank and Bryan went silent. They turned to look at me so I stopped in my tracks feeling awkward.

"Hey, Ana," Bryan said quite awkwardly. He disappeared into the freezer, even though everything was in the open freezers. Frank turned to me and his lips went thin.

"Can I speak with you?" Oh no, this isn't good. I braced myself for bad news as I nodded. "Why don't you take the day off? I'll pay you for the morning but we're so dull that we don't really need you if Bryan is here to manage everything."

"Oh, yeah, sure I guess," I said and grabbed my things. As I was getting ready, Frank slipped out the door. I left the store behind me and trudged up the street to see Camille again.

"What are you doing here again?" she asked when I walked in.

"I'm one step away from losing my job because I just got sent home because we aren't busy enough," I complained.

Camille sighed. "Maybe at least he'll start listening to you now." I shrugged and pushed past her to change in the back room. I left my stuff in the office and walked out the front with a wave in my swimsuit.

Camille called me a choice word given that I was heading to the beach earlier than she was. My flip flops smacked against my feet and my towel blew lightly in the wind. It was a little grey but I knew that the lack of sun wouldn't bother me as I read. I laid my towel out, put sunscreen on, and settled in to my chill afternoon.

~~~

When I lifted the book off my face hours later, I found that Camille had since joined me. The sun had began to peek out of the clouds and kiss our skin. We stood up and headed out into the waves to play around a little bit. Thoroughly soaked, we made our way back to our stuff on the sand. I lied on the sand to let the sun dry me off.

"How was work?" I asked Camille.

"It was fine," she said. "Not too busy, just a little long."

"Yeah?"

"Some guy came in and bought four cans of RedBull and a bottle of antacids," she continued, "it was a little strange but not the weirdest thing I've ever seen."

"Well that worked out well for you then." I turned over to give my back some sun.

"How was your impromptu afternoon off?" Camille asked.

"I mean, as fine as can be for not getting paid when I'm supposed to be," I pouted. Camille gave me a look that said to stop whining before she rolled over too.

"Who isn't getting paid when they are supposed to be?" Cameron's voice said from over top of me.

"Me, sadly." I looked up at him and pushed my bottom lip out. He matched my face, which made me smile.

"Would going for a ride in a boat out on the lake change that frown?" Cameron asked with a grin.

"I think it might," I said with a small smile.