Chapter 2

Another night in the books.  It's 2:30 AM, and now its time to head to the apartment to try and get some studying done before my test tomorrow.  I can't wait for a time to come to when I can get more than four hours of sleep a night.  I work at the club on the nights I don't have a night shift at the hospital, usually  Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, and Saturday.  I have night shifts on Tuesday and Sunday, and class on Monday and Tuesday mornings.  As you can tell, I have no life, no free time, and get no sleep.  But, I do what I have to do to make ends meet and to make sure that I graduate on time.  I still have one more year of school and clinical's.

I can tell you one thing,.. you can call me a lot of things, but lazy is not one of them.  Immature, yes, to a degree, hell, I am only 22 years old after all.  In NY, the subway is the cheapest way to travel, I'm heading there when I hear someone trying to get my attention.  I pull my jacket closer to my body and hold my bag tighter.  I look for the person trying to get my attention and its the sexy- sexy Italian man from the VIP area.

"Were you trying to call out for me sir? Was everything ok?"

"Yes, everything was perfectly fine."

Ok, so he does speak English. Why on earth would you speak Italian to me?  I thought it was rather obvious I had no idea what he was saying.  Insert suttle eye-roll here, LOL. Man, I need to get a life,.. like... for real.

"Ok, then, did you need something?"

"I was going to see if you would like to have dinner with me one night this week?"

Um, ok... was not expecting that whatsoever.  Truth is I have tried to date, but my life is too hectic with everything I have going on.  I mean, I am not a prude. I have dated, been to first-base, maybe 2nd base, but that is about it.  My schedule doesn't give me the option to have a social life.

"Yeah, um, that is flattering in all, but I am not able to. I have class and work.  I just don't have time for it right now.  Thank you for asking.  I am sorry I have to go."

Before he can say anything else, I quickly run across the street and make my way home.  Twenty min subway ride later, and I have made it to my neck of the woods.  It is not a safe neighborhood, but it is what I call home.  I undo the four locks on the outside of the door and make my way inside locking the five. Yeah, five, with a chain.  I try and be as safe as possible with what I have to work with.  My apartment is about 200 sqft with a mini-fridge.  I have a futon as a bed, a two-burner (stove), and a small box where I keep my clothes.  All for the grand total of $1400 a month. Isn't that nuts!? I mean, come on!  I have to keep telling myself that this is only temporary and that eventually, I will be able to live my life.  My bookbag is to the side of my couch/bed. I take my books and notebook out of the bag and start studying for the night. 

I didn't get to sleep until 4:45 am, so I got 3 1/2 hours of sleep.  I get dressed in a pair of blue skinny jeans, a large hoodie, and my converse.  Today I don't have a lab, so no scrubs.  Just class all day, and then work tonight.  I head to the subway, and then to class with my bookbag and a gym bag with my clothes for tonight.  I finally make it to class, take my seat, and wait for the teacher to come in to start the lecture.  This class is agonizingly long, and this teacher has such a monotone voice, it's so hard to stay awake and concentrate.  See in this class, I tend to space out a lot because of this teacher's voice.  Let me put this into perspective for you.  Think, Ferris Bullers Day Off.  You know the teacher who says, "Buller..., Buller...".  Anyone..., I mean, come on,... his voice just puts people to sleep!   So, I just pull out a voice recorder and record the lecture. It's the only way I can keep up.  I still attempt to take notes and stay awake.

The class is dismissed.  I know have an hour and a half before my next class, so I go to the local coffee shop. The Grind, such a stupid name.  It reminds me of something for a gym. However, the coffee is good.  I make my way to one of the tables and order myself a black coffee. One its cheap, and two, I need the caffeine.  I take out my notes and try to cram in more study time before my test.  An hour has passed, and for some reason, I look up and see that Italian man from last night walking in and going to buy a coffee.  I resume my studies and set a timer on my phone for 10 min so I can leave and make it to my next class on time.

"Buon Pomeriggio." (Good Afternoon)

I look at him with my eyebrows raised.  Hopefully, this dude can take a hint.  My understanding of Italian did not just miraculously show up in the last 10 hours. 

"Yeah, as you can see from my lack of response, ... I don't speak Italian."

He looked taken aback by my response and just stood there gaping like a fish.

"I said, good afternoon."

"Ahhhh. Gotcha, you as well."

"What brings you here?"

You know for someone who speaks Italian, he doesn't have an accent. It is just like a NY accent.

"I am studying between my classes and needed a coffee break to make it through the day, so here I am."

He goes to say something and my timer goes off.  I begin to gather my things and start heading to this dreaded test.

"Why are you leaving?"

"Well, I have ten min to get to my class for my test.  I must go. I cannot be late."

"I can give you a ride."

"Yeah, that would be a hard pass. I am sorry to be so curt, but I don't have time for all of this. Plus, I don't know you."

"You seemed to be more fun last night?"

"Yeah, when I am at the club, I can act my age and not like someone who is constantly studying.  I am just stressed about this test.  It was nice to see you again. Have a good day.  Seriously, I have got to go now.  I have 7 minutes before I am late."

She did not just blow me off for the second time.  Does this girl not know who I am?  I call my right hand, Lorenzo.  He's the closest thing I have to a best friend.  I need to see if he can give me any information about this girl who has captivated my attention. 

"Enzo"

"Yeah"

"I need you to find everything you can about the girl that waited on us last night and I want it no later than this afternoon.  Do you understand?"

"Yeah, yeah, I will have someone one it."

"Ciao." (goodbye)

"Yeah, Ciao."  (goodbye)

I will figure out who you are mia Bella (my beautiful), and you will be mine.

Gotta say thanks to my friend Katy helping me edit. You know cause I suck at it lol. Thanks girl enjoy chapter 2