Ten - Haku

The following morning I woke up with a jolt, early but not too early

The following morning I woke up with a jolt, early but not too early. I could remember parts of a dream, a familiar voice that I couldn't place telling me to go to the Boiler room.

I wasn't sure if I should but then I felt a pull to leave and so I edged out of bed, slipping on my dress so I wasn't just wearing my vest and slacks. I also put my shoes on and fixed up my hair with my hairtie before rubbing my eyes.

And now it was time to sneak out without Akai noticing. You see, last night, I'd stayed here in the library after finishing off some more basic book, spell work. And I'd stayed in the bedroom Akai had given me my dress in so it was all respectable.

So I slipped out of the room, closing the door ever so gently behind me before I tiptoed past Akai's room. I heard a steady snoring and, luckily enough, the soft carpet muffled my footsteps. But then I had to walk down the wooden steps of the reading area, hoping none of the steps creaked and, thankfully, none did. So then I left through the front door, exhaling.

Now I just had to make my way to the boiler room and so, in an effort to ensure Akai wouldn't catch me, I lifted my skirts and ran. I know, I know. Not very ladylike. But the voice had pleaded me in my dream and so I was now full of curiosity.

So, soon enough, I reached the boiler room door and paused for a moment to catch my breath, glad nobody had seen me. It was still early, after all.

Once I'd regained my breath, I opened the boiler room door and walked in, seeing nobody but then I stepped into the actual room and I saw a tall figure turned around, talking to Kamaji. He was wearing a white kimono with a blue sash and his black hair was in a long bob.

It couldn't be... Could it?

"Haku." I whispered and Kamaji spotted me, grimacing a little. Then the figure in front of him stopped talking and slowly turned around, his green eyes seeming to pierce me. It was indeed, Haku. Somehow he looked older, wiser. But his face still had the same, calm expression and he looked at me for a few moments before taking a step forward.

"Chihiro." He replied quietly. Instinctively, I took a step backwards and stumbled into the door I'd closed, unable to believe Haku was here and in front of me after all of these years, after I'd finally somewhat moved on a little.

"You're here. Haku, why are you here? How are you here?" I figured I must've been dreaming, scrunching my eyes up for a few moments and patting the side of my head but he was still there when I opened my eyes and so I audibly gulped.

"I understand you're nervous-" He began, taking another step forward.

"Nervous doesn't cut it. You left everyone, from what I heard. And now you're back. Why? Is it because of me?" I retorted, surprised at my own, bitter tone. He also seemed slightly surprised but nodded slowly.

"I did leave, but it was for a good reason. I went to build my strength up so I could eventually help everyone. If I stayed then that monster would've locked me up too." His tone was full of resentment and I frowned ever so slightly.