Eleven - Conflicted

Over the next two weeks or so, I developed a slight routine

Over the next two weeks or so, I developed a slight routine. I'd wake up, make breakfast for Akai and I, sit with him for a little while, start working then he'd make lunch so we'd stop for lunch before I worked some more and then we'd make dinner together before getting ready for bed after we ate.

I didn't see Haku at all. I saw Kamaji a few times, having taken food for him and I'd also occasionally bump into Lin but I didn't see anyone else I knew.

Yubaba was staying with Zeniba now and every day, I was growing closer to Akai. That day where I'd been crying had brought us closer together as he'd been sweet to me. Kind.

It's not like Haku wasn't on my mind but I was much more calm about everything now, having cleared my system.

And Akai was calm too, not losing his self control like he had almost done before. No, the closest we got were if he'd kiss me on the forehead but he'd only done that twice in two weeks.

Anyway, on the first day of my second week, Akai told me I'd finished my learning and now it was more for the physical stuff. Like potion basics, spell casting, stuff like that. He seemed excited to teach me which was nice, because I was excited to learn.

So then he led me up the lobby stairs and down the corridor I hadn't been in, yet. There were two doors and we went through the one on the left to see a large room with a cauldron and many magical looking things I couldn't name yet.

That full week, I worked as hard as I could and he tried to teach me the best he could. Most nights I ended up being so tired that I'd crash on his sofa before dinner. To be fair, potion brewery was tough work and the fumes were intoxicating but... So was Akai.

He was very careful and concise in his teaching, ensuring I wouldn't hurt myself by helping me in spell incantations too, although they were never activated.

He showed me different magical artefacts he had as well as scrolls, making that week was very interesting. But, again, no Haku.

But then it hit the third week and he told me I'd finished my training so now he was ready to tell me what I was actually going to do.

I was excited yet also a little nervous, my hands trembling a little as we sat down on his bed, in front of the mystery woman's portrait.

Before he spoke, he noticed my hands trembling and he took them in his, giving me a reassuring nod although I realised he also appeared to be anxious. I didn't know why, though. It probably had something to do with the mystery woman.

"Right, so. You've asked a lot of questions, Chihiro. And today's the day I'll answer them. Seven days away from the task I want you to do." He said slowly, meeting my eyes. "And I do owe you an explanation."

"That you do." I replied softly, not breaking eye contact as I valued these few moments. I could hardly breathe properly as I was finding out the big secret.