Ch 10: Open Vein

I can't remember how I got here, and I'm not quite sure how long I've been sitting here for either, except that the sun is setting, long shadows growing as they creep through the streets and plazas.

The wind is louder up here, enough to block out any noise. It's a cold wind too, but I don't mind. I let it bite at my skin and dry the tears on my face as they fall, letting my body shiver and shake until the cold doesn't bother me anymore.

I must've just run up every staircase I could until I found myself on a tower, the one that's now a few meters to my left. From there I must have climbed onto the roof, which is where I sit now, overlooking the setting sun and the Birdseye view of the capitol.

My entire life I dreamt of being able to one day kill a vampire. All us kids at the resistance camp talked about it, describing exactly how we dreamed of killing one of those monsters.

We had often fantasized together what it would be like to kill a royal, or even the feared Queen of Blood herself. I had dreamt countless times all the ways I would wish to slay her down, how it would feel to watch the light disappear from her eyes.

And then I had the chance.

I was standing merely meters away from her. There was no way I could have missed. My opportunity was right there, dangling in front of me, and all I had to do was release, let the string slip out my fingers and watch as the arrow sunk into her heart.

Sure I would have been killed immediately afterward, but it would have been one giant step for the resistance. I would've been known as the first even human to kill a Queen.

The girl who slay the Queen Of Blood.

It would've given the rebellion hope. If a human girl could've taken down the vampire Queen all by herself then there was a chance they could rise from the shadows and defeat the blood sucking monsters.

All I had to do was let that arrow fly.

Any other human would have done it without hesitation.

But I couldn't.

I physically couldn't.

I had stared into her molten golden orbs. She just stood there, calmand still, waiting for me to kill her. She did not look scared or frightened. She stood there in all her beauty and grace, and held my gaze, as if she understood why I would want to kill her.

And I couldn't do it.

All my life I had prepared for a moment like that. My entire childhood I had trained to kill and fight vampires, to defy them if ever I were captured, to die a hero for the cause of the resistance, that one day we could maybe live without fear and with freedom.

I had learned of the vampires' cruelty, how they treated us and destroyed us without mercy, compassion or care.

I had hated them. I still hate them.

But I don't hate her.

I feel her sit down next to me. I don't need to look over to know it's her. I knew she would find me sooner or later, it didn't matter where I hid in this massive palace.

I don't fear her. Even though I threatened her life in front of all her guards I know she isn't angry.

More tears slip from my eyes and roll down my cheeks.

I feel a blanket wrap around my shoulders, and I know she put it there.

"What are these feelings I feel?" I ask into the wind, my voice still shaking and hoarse.