Episode 55: The Three Muskafreaks

Episode 55: T h e T h r e e M u s k a f r e a k s

It was already dawn, but everyone was still asleep. Except for Natella who sat against a tree and listened to the chirping of the birds while she read her book.

"I told you, you'll only get yourself hurt by coming here."

She quickly got on her feet and turned around bumping into Damien.

"What are you doing here?" Her eyes widened, looking at the metal bracelets with caution. 

"It's fine, the bracelete doesn't feel that hot anyway." Damien looked back at her with disappointed red eyes. "That means you're pretty far away from the cabin you were supposed to sleep in."

Natella sighed and shut the book. "We don't really need sleep anyway. You know that."

"You're such a fool." Damien frowned and flicked her forehead teasingly.

"Ow! Hey, I don't appreciate being scolded by the likes of you." She glared at him, but Damien's face twitched into a sad look before grabbing her into an embrace.

"You're sad."

"No, I'm not." She widened her eyes in surprise, her body stiffening up at the sudden gesture.

"It's ok. I know you like hugs when you're sad." He whispered and patted her hair down, reminding her of an old habit she craved from her best friend.

"Not from you."

"I'm sorry. You can think I'm Dalia or something. She was pretty flat-chested anywa--" His abdomen tensed up after Natella's fist rammed into it.

"I'm fine." She sighed, allowing him to hug her for a few more seconds. "Really, Damien. I'm fine now."

With an affirmed tone, he finally let go, looking back at her. "You're pretty." Natella's face scrunched up.

"Why are you being so awkward?" She rolled her eyes.

"You know, I was kind of glad the family decided on having you as my fiance. If it were one of the Kisch's girls, I think I would have died." He snorted. Natella couldn't help but crack a smile. "I mean, don't get me wrong. They're fine, but her eldest daughter's got to be at least twice my age."

"That's rude." Natella covered her smiling mouth. Damien beamed back at her and narrowed his eyes.

"Natella. I'm glad you're my partner, but are you?"

Her smile dropped and she looked away from him. "I don't think we have a choice in this matter. As a coven, the oracle's words are absolute. Even though we don't practice Magik, she's still a sacred symbol to us. Besides, isn't that what you always told me? You seemed to have softened up, Damien, if you're asking me these questions. Unless you're plotting something strange."

"I haven't softened up, I'm just trying to be a decent guy for a change." He sighed. "I know you don't like me." Natella stood quiet. "Even though I'm a very sexy and capable man."

"Keep dreaming." She scoffed. "Can't you stay serious for just one minute?"

"I am serious." Damien scoffed back, running his hands down his long white hair, seductively biting his lips and winking. "Do you know how many girls asked me out in school? This year makes exactly seven thousand."

"That's kind of sad. We've been alive for so long."

"We did ask for this."

"I know...but...Damien," she looked up at him, deep in thought, "don't you sometimes think that the fabled 'curse' we used to hear of about when a coven abandons Magik is really starting to kick in now? We've become something impure for the sake of a strong desire that consumed us in the whiff of a moment. We're no better than our enemies like this. I can't help but question what I'm living for anymore? What's the purpose?"