Chapter 1

It was a cold and gloomy night in Slade, the rain running over everything washing away the last few years of dust. The whole world seemed to be sighing with relief that the drought was finally over; everyone except lexi. See if any of those drenched ants scurrying to get home bothered to look up they would have seen the silhouette of a girl standing on the edge of the roof; they would have seen her sway dangerously close to the edge, a clear bottle shimmering with each lightning strike hanging from her hand. Lexi wondered if her heart would ever stop hurting; what could she have possibly done to deserve this! The pain was all consuming, all it would take to end it all is one tiny step forward, one small step and all the pain would be gone...

Earlier that day

Lexi hummed to the song blasting through her headphones as she walked the isles of 'insanity', the local thrift shop. She was on the hunt for the perfect present for Ryan. Last night had been the most amazing night of her life (even is she was walking like a duck)with the most amazing guy whom she loved deeply. All her life her mother had told her that her virginity was for the love of her life; No one else deserved such a prize. Ryan, oh sweet Ryan was going to be her husband one day soon and she wanted to give him a peice of herself that No one else would ever or could ever have, not anymore anyway.

Finding the perfect gift was turning out to be much harder then she thought, why just it be so freaking hard!! Wait! Oh my god there it is... an old school mini record player and what looked like a collection of all the greats in near perfect condition holy shit he's going to fan girl hard over this!

Now while finding it had been a dang miracle in her eyes, she didn't think about having to lump it two blocks over to his house. Cursing her stupidity she started the seemingly never ending stretch to his house juggling the precious cargo.

Ryan's house was beautiful, a one-story house with a wrap around veranda and a garden full of gorgeous flowers that seemed to change every spring. A small coy pond sat right in the middle with an old white bench chair overlooking the peaceful spot, sigh, utter bliss. It took less then two seconds for my whole mood to change when I spotted stephanies car in the driveway fuck me why can't this hooker just leave us alone!

Unlocking the door in an angry huff I froze with my foot mid-air. There was a strange sound in the house I didn't want to acknowledge. Feeling my heart start to beat out of my chest the longer I listened. I tried to leave, really I did, but instead found myself slowly moving forward as if I were in a trance. I followed the sounds to the bedroom door, the same door I was behind with him last night, the same door I had clung to him placing sloppy kisses over his neck as he carried me into the room, his strong hands on my ass.

Her brain told her not to open the door, told her she didn't need to witness the scene on the other side and yet her treacherous hand reached for the knob and turned the handle.

At first she couldn't comprehend what she was looking at and then it hit her all at once and the last sound she clearly heard was her heart being torn in two from between her ribs and then nothing but an eerie ringing in her ears when everything froze in place. The rage came next and it was monumental, she did the only thing she could think of, she hurled the 'perfect present' towards the bed at that cheating peice of shit. Watching that record player hit Ryan square in the back was oddly therapeutic, the look of shock pain and disbelief over his face would have been funny had she been able to feel anything, sadly the pain she inflicted could never amount to what was inside her right now.

Stomping away from the room she began throwing anything that was in close proximity back at Ryan as he chased her through the house trying to explain.

"Lexi, lexi please just listen to me, let me explain! Please!" The little cockroach begged "it didn't mean anything I don't even know how it happened! I love you lexi!!"

Oh fuck no that's it, id heard enough of his bullshit, spinning around to face him I watched him recoil with silent glee, however it was short lived as I felt the rage rise again seeing him wrapped in that fucking sheet!!

"How fucking dare you try to justify that bullshit I just witnessed! You small fucked, bald headed, self-centered thunder cunt! I have you everything I had, I thought you were my forever and you took that slutty mutant into the bed we shared and set a fucking match to the things we could have had because there's no way in flying fucking hell I'm ever going to forgive you for this, and when my brothers find out about that" she trusted my finger towards the bedroom " there isn't going to be a rock big enough or a hole deep enough for you to hide in" taking a deep breath she continues " enjoy your last few hours shit stick!"

She did actually smile this time watching him turn so white she thought he was going to pass out.

Lexi turned and walked with her head held high out of that house, he would never get the satisfaction of seeing her shed even a single tear, and right into the liquor store which explains how she ended up here, on the top of the post office on the middle of a storm contemplating how she never seen past the bullshit he projected to keep her unaware of his true nature and then the questions started circling in her head and it settled on the one all people eventually ask when in this situation, how long had it been going on for, not that it mattered it had happened none the less.

God I'm such a fucking idiot! I believed everything he said to me, I never once thought to question a single excuse he gave me in the 7 years we were together!

As the rain stopped she sat on the ledge swinging the bottle and lit a smoke with her tears streaking down her puffy face, shed stopped feeling the cold about halfway through the bottle but no matter how much she drank the pain wouldn't stop it was still raw and angry and eating at the miniscule part of her heart that survived. Turning to the bird that landed beside her she sighed and asked " why did I ever think I could get my happiness little bird? Why did I think that after the life I've lead that I would get the finally have a peice of heaven i could get lost in.."

" I don't think you're going to get any answers outta that bird darlin"

"Holy fuckin hell!" Lexi yelled and jumped so high her choice was almost made for her, spinning around so fast she lost her grip on the bottle and smoke. Once she regained her ground she found a man standing behind her slowly raising his hands in a show of non-aggression looking at her like she was a glass vase about to shatter.

"Sorry Darlin, didn't mean to startle you. My name's Charles I work here"

Of course she knew who he was, back in the day she has a major crush on him, until she met Ryan. She's seen him every Thursday for 8 years inside the post office when she sent her brothers care packages. She couldn't quite get her mouth to cooperate with her brain tho, it seemed the vodka had finally caught up with her and the last thing she saw before passing out was Charles running towards her with a look of horror on his face.