prologue

Leah Presley

"I don't think this is a good idea, are we actually going to do this?"I questioned Skyler with concern, my voice beginning to tremble. My eyes trailed over the large wooden sign that hung above the small ranch, feeling chills spread through my body.

"We traveled over 3 hours for this Leah, we have to! C'mon, it's just for fun, don't you want to know? People say she's amazing at what she does." Skyler begged me, a glint of hope in her eyes as I sighed in my stance. My stomach churned inside of me, feeling like I would regret this instantly if I knew.

I was never one to believe in psychics or any conspiracies like that. I was extremely skeptical and I felt it in my gut that maybe this wasn't right. My future was supposed to be unknown, it was supposed to be suspenseful, supposed to keep you on the edge of your seat. It was never right to seek out what your future may look like and I felt guilty for even coming along with Sky to do just that.

"I'm just feeling really uneasy about this," I muttered, my sneakers planted to the floor as a frown painted itself on my lips. Skyler huffed at me under her breath, her hand sliding into mine, tugging me towards the door to follow her. 

"It's just for fun, why not want to know who you might end up with for the rest of your life?" She had replied, wiggling her eyebrows at me in a playful manner as a small laugh erupted from my pink lips. 

"I'm not really sure if I want to know..." I trailed off, my eyes darting towards the floor, hoping she wouldn't persuade me with her warm brown eyes. I felt her tug my arm harder as I felt my body go forward, walking up the wooden steps following in her trail. 

"I know you, Lee, I know you want to know, this was your idea at first, so let's just do it, see what happens, and laugh about it in the end, yeah?" Skyler nudged me with her elbow, a grin planted on her face as I shook my head back and forth in laughter, feeling myself begin to get persuaded by her words.

"Fine fine, you're right, it's just for fun," I laughed as she nodded eagerly with my words, her small fist rising towards the door, banging loudly. At this moment I felt the butterflies rise in the pit of my stomach, and the uneasy feeling was back once again. I kept pushing the negative thoughts to the back of my mind, repeating to myself over and over again that this was just for fun. It was just for fun.

A petite middle-aged woman opened the door, fine little wrinkles lining her cheeks and forehead, strands of grey sprouting through her dark brown hair. She pulled her lips into a grin, gesturing for us to come inside as she stepped to the side of the door.

"You must be Leah and Skyler, I presume?"She questioned us in a sweet tone as Skyler eagerly walked through the door, my long legs striding in after her, my curious eyes scattered throughout the home. 

"That's us! You're the psychic right?" Skyler asked, tilting her head to the side, the grin formed on her lips. The psychic nodded with a quick laugh beginning to walk towards a room as we slowly followed behind, hot on her trail. The sweet, calm manner of the woman was easing my nerves and I was beginning to feel the excitement grow inside of me. Maybe this wouldn't be as bad as I thought. 

She brought us into a small room but stopped before we could get in any further. I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion as Sky raised her eyebrows at the abruptness of it. 

"Sorry I could only do one at a time privately, so who would like to go first?" The woman questioned kindly as I felt Sky's elbow press against my ribcage, motioning for me to be the one to go first. I huffed a big sigh and hung my head low, stepping forward as the woman's lips upturned into a bright smile.