Chapter 3

A/N - The ending of this has me all soft.

Elise and the Doctor looked out the window.

"Oh my god," Elise breathed, "It's beautiful."

"It is. It's amazing," the Doctor said, putting his hands on Elise's shoulders.

"Where are we?" Cyril asked.

"Technically, we're not anywhere. We've flown into the Time Vortex. You've what you wanted. Those idiots down there can burn your old home and you'll be safe out here. But these people helped you, and they're in my protection. Now help them. How do we get home?"

The Queen placed her hand on Madge's shoulder. "Think."

"Sorry? What?"

"She must only think." The Queen stepped back.

"Madge, did you hear that? You said it, but did you hear it?" the Doctor asked, kneeling in front of her, "You've got to think."

"Think what?"

"Think of home. Just picture it, feel it! You have to really feel it. Can you do that?" The Doctor ran back over to the window, "Your mind is controlling this vessel. You can fly us all back for Christmas."

"My head is full of trees, Caretaker. Can't you fly us home?"

The Doctor knelt in front of her again. "I don't have a home to think of. And between you and me, I'm older than I look and I can't feel the way you do. Not anymore. And you really need to feel it, Madge. Everything about home that you miss until you can't bear it. Until you almost burst."

"Till it hurts? Is that what you mean, Caretaker? Till it hurts?"

"Yes. Yes."

Madge took a piece of paper out of her coat pocket. "Well then, home in time for Christmas!"

The dome swayed and shook as they flew through the vortex.

Elise smiled and laughed. "She drives like you!"

"Oi!" the Doctor snapped, making Elise laugh even more.

"What's happening? Where are we going?" Lily asked.

"Show them! Show them!" the Doctor said.

The window expanded so everyone could see the vortex corridor.

"Ha! The Time Vortex. Your mother is flying a forest through the Time Vortex. Be a little impressed. What are you going home for? What's pulling you there? Please, try. Please, think."

There was an image of a man holding a baby. It morphed into the man in uniform waving goodbye.

"Reg!" Madge said.

"Daddy?" Cyril asked.

"My Reg!"

Flashes of memories appeared on the screen.

"That's it, focus on Reg. Be careful, but focus on him," the Doctor told her.

"Oh, I don't know."

"How did you meet? You and Reg. Tell me how you met."

"He followed me home. I worked in the dairy. He always used to follow me home." The memory appeared on the screen.

"Look at Father. He looks so young," Lily said.

"He said he'd keep on following me till I married him. Didn't like to make a scene."