Chapter 3

Okay, so there was apparently some sort of large, mystical-looking creature on your roof. That's nice.

Sighing to yourself as you walked down one of the aisles of the pharmacy, you soon crouched down and grabbed a roll of bandages. Yí was busy looking for the medicine, as far as you knew, so you decided to just head up to the front desk and wait for her there.

"Oh, my," the lady blinked at the three rolls of bandages in your arms as you set them down in front of her, keeping your gaze down since you weren't really one for socializing.

"Did someone get seriously hurt or something?" the woman asked, quirking a brow at you as you shuffled in your place awkwardly.

"Um, I..."

Thankfully, Yí came rushing over just in time, and you internally sighed with relief. Yeah, you'd leave the talking to your sister, thanks.

With Yí now at your side and with the medicine needed to treat the wound of the creature on your guys' roof, you both quickly paid for your acquired essentials and left the pharmacy; running past other people and apologizing to every person you bumped into, until you both rounded a corner that led into an alleyway, and you instantly came to a stop in your tracks at the sound of voices.

"BAM! It came out of nowhere. Then it was gone."

Taking Yí's hand, you pulled her over to the side and hid behind a dumpster, but you both still made sure that there was enough room for the two of you to peek your heads out and see what the adults were talking about.

In the middle of the road, men and woman in suits all surrounded a truck driver. What instantly caught your attention, however, was the large dent in the front of his vehicle — which was currently being examined by a woman with curly red hair, wearing a lap coat, with a pair of glasses across his freckled face.

"Did you see where it went?" the red-head spoke, gently running her finger across the dent and examining it thoroughly.

"Lady, I just told you. It was gone." Looking around, the man then started leaning against his damaged truck, moving some loose strands of his hair behind his ear. "Uh, what was it, anyway?" he asked, curiosity lacing his voice.

For a split moment, you saw the red-headed woman go tense. However, she quickly covered her nervousness up and offered the truck driver a polite smile before saying, "Um, let me take care of the repairs to your truck."

The man seemed surprised by her words and he perked up as she smiled and nodded, turning around and walking away to continue on with her buisness.

Though the conversation was short, you still couldn't help but tense out of fear and bite your bottom lip. Because — because...

You and Yí already knew exactly ​​​​​​​what she was looking for.

* * * * *

Opening the door as quietly as you could, you stuck your head into your little apartment and looked around for any sight of Nai Nai or your mother. When you saw neither of them, you smiled and nodded towards Yí, signaling her that it was okay to come in.

A sigh of relief escaped your twins' lips, and the two of you walked into the room casually before closing the door behind you. You started making your way over to Yí's room soon after, but came to a stop when you finally noticed a familiar scent in the air.

Nai Nai's pork buns, you thought to yourself, perking up and turning around to face the counter. Unsurprisingly, a plate of your Nai Nai's pork buns sat atop the countertop, and you beamed, walking over to them and pouring the whole plate into your purse.