chapter 2

ch. 2: departure

I wish I could say that I was then thrown into one of those James Bond chase sequences, but unfortunately, that wasn't the case. 

It was more like, I had to awkwardly do the walk of shame back to my spot, only to find out Erica was sat beside my previous chair. 

My dumbass immediately thought that she should've given me more time to prepare a lie, but I guess it is what it is. For all I know, Erica's probably preparing a mastermind scheme of strangling me to death. 

But perhaps... 

"Spy School's burned down." A voice stated matter of fact, interrupting my train of thoughts.

"Wait wha-" I was spun around to face Erica, standing as tall as ever. 

"You didn't see?" She raised an eyebrow, then sighed, "You let someone steal the bags and still didn't get a chance to watch the news?" 

"WHAT!? That was what the burning pictures meant? Wait, are they okay? Do you know who set the fire?" 

"Fine, everybody evacuated in time." She paused, "Local police are on the case, but they haven't found a suspect nor reason behind the attack."

"Round two of the principal's (or as my friends and I commonly call him, the Idiot) office being destroyed." Erica barked out a laugh.

"That's good! Hopefully, he doesn't blame me for the destruction of his temp office." Which consisted of an overly large closet, and a rickety old chair. 

"Also, what time is it?" 

"0759 hours," I responded, having the sense of time was quite useful.

 "Ah, we're leaving in a minute. C'mon, let's get the other three."

I stopped, "Soo, you don't care about the bags? Or that someone stole them that obviously was a, uh, nefarious actor? Also, do the other three know about this?"

Erica snorted, "No, they contained nothing important anyway. A few expired granolas aren't worth very much."

"Besides, I have all of you guys' passports on me. Dad, Mike and Zoe know already, told them a few minutes ago before you went sprinting off. I have a feeling I know who that person was." She didn't leave me any hints as to what she was thinking. All I could do was shake my head and move on.

"Oh,"

"ATTENTION PASSENGERS OF GATE 420, PLEASE COME AND BOARD YOUR PLANE." (i honestly forget what they say anymore LMAO) crackly PA sounded over us in French, then the announcement was repeated in English. 

She glanced up, "We're boarding now, let's go quickly. I can see the other crackheads."

It was a short journey before we were standing in line beside Alexander, Mike and Zoe. 

They were truly a sight to see, decked out in Parisian trinkets and such. Mike even had a baguette tucked under his arm. They looked like some weird tourists that thought they were trying to become one with their inner French.

I couldn't stop myself from bursting into laughter while they grinned back. Erica only rolled her eyes in a playful manner. 

"A little much?" Asked Mike.

"A bit," I smiled.

--------------------------------------------------------

The line was advancing fast, and soon we were walking down the tunnel (what is it called again-) connected to the plane. 

At the entrance, we passed by a flight attendant with a practiced, dazzling smile: 

"Enjoy your flight!"

"Merci beaucoup," I responded.

The plane itself was packed full with other travelling passengers and had very limited leg space offered when I sat down. I put my bag beneath the person's seat in front of me, strapped my seatbelt tightly over my body, and tried to relax. 

It took a few minutes for the other people to board, but soon after the message from the pilot, PSA (public safety announcement) and a demonstration from another flight attendant, we were ready.

I was somewhat giddy for the view that I'll see in a few hours when the sky darkened as I got the window seat. Alexander whined a bit, but I oh-so-graciously ignored him. 

Although we were still preparing for flight and the view wasn't that pretty yet, I glanced out the window. 

My eyes immediately widened.

Murray Hill with his greasy mop of hair was smiling and waving as if he was a celebrity.

I almost had a heart attack. 

AH LOOK A CLIFFHANGER :0