•4•

Everything is silent as my paws thud against the damp earth. I'm in wolf form, but Astaria is nowhere to be found. I can't hear her, the empty void is back again. My heart races in my chest, my mouth is parted revealing my saliva soaked tongue. I'm running faster, faster, until everything is a blur. Fear is coursing through my veins, I know I have to keep running or something bad will happen, I feel it.

I let out a small yelp as pain spreads up my leg, coming from my front paw. I trip over a fallen log and go tumbling across the forest floor. There's pain creeping across my whole body, pressure on my back as a kneecap is pressed deeply into my spine. "Hello again."

I jump up suddenly, my breathing in short puffs as I grip the soft duvet around me. My hair is matted to my forehead, sweat beads form rivers down my temples. Astaria?? I call out, eager. Hoping she hadn't actually left me. Yes Rain? Are you okay? She asks, her voice full of concern. Yes..I'm okay. Did you- were you able to see that dream? Were you there? I wondered why she couldn't speak to me, why I was alone and how I was able to feel that emptiness again.

Yes I was there, you are safe now. Don't be worried. She comforts, I see her in my mind now; curled on her side still in her resting position. Why weren't you there? What happened? I questioned sitting up on my bed, throwing my legs over so that my feet touch the plush carpet.

I don't know, but know that I am here and you are safe. Why don't we go freshen up and have some breakfast, yeah? I caught my reflection in the mirror as I sat perched on the comfy mattress, my hair was a wreck and I had dark circles forming under my eyes from a night of restless sleep.

That's a good idea, thank you for being there for me Astaria.

You're welcome, Rain. My stomach let out a monstrous growl as I stared blankly at my cream colored walls. Yeah, breakfast sounds nice right about now. I agreed.

The cool water washed away the horrors of the night before, bringing a sense of refreshment to my clammy face and neck. I took a better look at my appearance in the bathroom mirror; remnants of my makeup were smudged across my eyelids, gold and blue eye shadow was smeared across my cheek.

I hadn't met my mate. Why hadn't I met him? Did the Moon Goddess not think I was ready? Does she know that the pressure is on to find him so that we can be crowned King and Queen? The events from the night before came flooding back as I leaned myself against the marble sink.

He could have been there right? I could have maybe overlooked him with all of the emotions and rush of meeting you for the first time, with my first shift and everything maybe I just didn't see him. What if he noticed me and didn't come forward Astaria?? My mind was in a panic, there were so many wolves at the Ceremony, why wasn't he there?

Rain listen to me, calm down. Breathe in, breathe out. So much has happened in the past twenty four hours you need to take a few moments to rest and allow yourself to catch up. Your mate was not at the Ceremony, if he was you would have smelled him. We have bigger issues to attend to at the moment. I think you should go get some breakfast and talk to your father first and foremost, maybe he can answer your questions. Fluffing her tail, she sat up on her rump and tilted her head.

She was right I did need to breathe, overreacting never helps in any situation. Okay. I'll go get some breakfast. My eyes lingered on the mirror at my reflection. I really do look exhausted. I reached in the drawer and pulled out a washcloth, wetting it under the cool water of the faucet. The pressure under my swollen eyes brought some relief to the tightness of my skin.

After wiping away the remainder of my makeup, I searched through my wardrobe for something comfortable to wear. I was in no mood to doll myself up today and I felt like I deserved a break from the "princess" attire. I settled on some dark grey sweats and a plain blue t-shirt. I removed my hair tie from my hair and ran my fingers through it, throwing it back into a messy bun. I grabbed a pair of ankle socks from my drawer and stopped to take in my appearance.