Part 9

Day 4 (Wednesday)

"Why do you look so surprised?" Pluem asked when he saw the shock in Chimon's face that morning. Pluem was waiting for him outside of their house like he did last Monday.

"Nothing," Chimon replied.

"You think I'm mad at you for friendzoning me last night?" Pluem continued to tease.

Chimon glared at him. "Shut up. Let's go or we'll be late."

Pluem just grinned as they both got into the car.

"But seriously, I did get hurt when you walked out on me like that," Pluem said while he started to drive.

"I'm sorry," Chimon answered.

"I'm curious though, why can't we be more than friends? Did I fail to meet your standards or something?"

Chimon stayed quiet.

"Is there anything I can do, anything I can change?"

Still no response from Chimon.

"Or are you not ready? Should I wait til we graduate?"

"Stop your silly games, Pluem. You know we're not a good match," Chimon finally responded.

"Whoa. That hurt. Why? Because I'm not as smart as you? Because I'm too ignorant on social issues? I can work on those you know."

"You clearly have no idea," Chimon answered.

Pluem pulled over and stared at Chimon. "Okay. Tell me then. Why am I not good enough for you?"

Chimon looked away. "That's not it. Look at me. I'm just a regular guy with an ordinary life."

Pluem tried to catch his eye. "So am I, Chimon. What's the issue?"

"You're really gonna act like you don't know? Fine. You're good-looking. People stare at you everywhere we go. At the bar. At school. Even when we were at the restaurant. And you're super rich. I asked Ms. Alonzo about you too. Between your mother and father's assets, you're basically a billionaire."

Pluem was perplexed. "What?"

"You belong in an entirely different world, Pluem. Sure, we might be neighbors and schoolmates now but that's all we have in common. I'll probably graduate, find a job and live here for the rest of my life. But you, who knows where you'll be in a few years? Who knows if you'll still even be here after the semester is over?

"Your world is so much bigger than mine. Surely, you'll find a thousand other guys better than me out there."

Pluem shook his head. "I'm so glad you finally told me these."

He grabbed Chimon's hand. "Listen. The money that you're talking about is just that: my parents' money. You probably have more money in the bank than I do. It's true. I rely on them 100% on my allowance. I'm basically broke if you take away my parents' support. Sure you heard my father say everything he owns is mine but that doesn't make me any better than you. I did not earn that money."

Chimon still didn't look convinced.

"By the way, you think I'm good-looking? Thank you," Pluem said.

Chimon rolled his eyes at him.

"I'm just kidding," Pluem laughed.

"Look, I might look well..okay maybe but that's only because I have fair skin and maybe because I have good genes. But again, I didn't earn that. After a few years, I'll grow old as well. Looks don't last forever.

"However you Chimon, you are very special. I have met a lot of smart and rich people before but I have never been intimidated by them. But you, you make me feel so small. You're so kind and pure-hearted and sweet and thoughtful and everything I like about a person. Believe me, you have more integrity in your fingernails than some other people have in their entire body.