02 | hostile crowds

* * *

* * *

THE LEAKY CAULDRON was just another run-down dilapidated shop along Charing Cross road.

However, neither things nor people weren't always as they appeared to be. Valerie Grindelwald knew that all too well. So, when they walked through the creaky doors and ended up in a busy pub, it had been somewhat of a foreshadowed surprise for her.

Valerie weaved her way through the clamorous crowds with Hagrid and Harry by her side.

"Hagrid! The usual, I presume?"

"Not ter'day, Tom." The gamekeeper denied the bartender's offer. "I'm on official Hogwarts business. Just takin' these two ter get their school supplies."

The attention was shifting to them, and Valerie quickly turned away from any prying eyes.

"Bless my soul," the bartender breathed out. "It's Harry Potter."

All heads turned to the oblivious boy, and suddenly everyone was lining up, hoping to greet him.

Valerie began to back away, knowing how different their reactions would be if she was the one put on the spot. Unfortunately, luck never was on her side as she accidentally bumped into a wizard rushing out of the pub.

"Sor—" The man cut himself off at the sight of her. "Those eyes... It can't be."

"I know those eyes. Those cold, heartless eyes. You're her, aren't you? You're Grindelwald's granddaughter."

There was an unmistakable distaste in his voice that caused Valerie to send him a hard glare. By then, murmurs had broken out all over the place.

"Thief."

"Criminal."

"Murderer."

Even Harry Potter was staring at her confusedly, and she clenched her fists tightly at all their quiet, detesting comments.

"Excuse me, I'd hate to interrupt your tell-tale gossips." Valerie cleared her throat, earning their attention. "I know that my grandfather has caused a great deal of torment to this world. But, I am not him. And for all of you to judge a child solely by her name in senseless fear, tells me something."

She spoke loud and clear, without stutter. "My grandfather may have been one of the darkest wizards in history, but at least he wasn't coward."

The pub fell silent, and Hagrid put a reassuring hand on Valerie's shoulder. "Attagirl."

He led the two eleven-year olds out the backroom to a brick wall, a seemingly dead-end.