22 | lemon drops

*  *  *

*  *  *

THE HOGWARTS HALLS were deafeningly silent by the early evening hour, save for the somewhat distressed footsteps of one troubled Valerie Grindelwald.

Her usually cold eyes darted around in alarm as she quickened her pace. Hearing the feint clanging of pipes from behind, she looked over her shoulder, only to be met with the unoccupied corridor. A quick sigh of relief escaped her lips, but it was cut short as she collided with another inattentive passerby.

"Sorry," the boy mumbled rather bitterly, the book in his hands dropping to the ground. But, his demeanour changed entirely as he met her face."Valerie- I'm sorry, I-I wasn't looking where I was-"

"It's fine, Harry." Valerie crouched down to pick his book up for him, before hastily shoving it in his hands and walking off. The Potter boy watched her retreating figure, his eyebrows furrowed in stupefaction as he wondered why she was out in the halls at this time.

Just as Harry was about to call after her, the same odious whisper only he could hear rang through his ears once more. It was happening again.

Valerie Grindelwald stood before the unmoving brass eagle, recalling what Professor Dumbledore had told her. "Lemon drops," she spoke out.

The base of the statue disjointed itself from the stone floor, and Valerie watched as it rose up to reveal a spiralling staircase. She strode into the narrow passage, letting the flight of steps lift her until she came face to face with two oak doors. Hesitating slightly, she knocked on the uncannily polished wood. "Headmaster?"

"Ah, Valerie." The familiar wistful voice acknowledged her. "I was wondering when you'd arrive."

'Not even going to ask,' Valerie thought. By now, she was more than acquainted with the man's knowledge of absolutely everything.

"I'm sorry to bother you at this hour, Professor. It's just-I can't take it anymore," she expressed. "The dreams-nightmares, if you will. They get worse every night."

The look on Dumbledore's face told her to elaborate more on the subject.

"I don't give a damn about a book, a snake, or a sword! I just want a good night's rest. As if condoning my pretentious housemates isn't tiring enough- Professor, is it against the rules to clock a student in the face if they're being so utterly insufferable?"

Valerie stopped herself from going any further, clearing her throat before continuing, "Sorry. I tend to ramble when sleep-deprived."