SEVEN TYPES

the seven types of love

according to the ancient greeks

PRAGMA LONG-STANDING LOVE

the highest form of love; true commitment that comes from understanding, compromise and tolerance. a love that grows over time and requires profound understanding between two lovers who have been together for many years
EXAMPLE: a couple who has been through so much and yet have endured every moment, even the not-so-good ones. they always choose one another.

EROS LOVE OF THE BODY

a love derived from sexual desire or attraction. it was the most feared because it was seen as dangerous
EXAMPLE: a young couple meeting and immediately feeling attracted, and lustful, towards one another.

PHILIA LOVE OF THE MIND

also known as brotherly love. it is the kind of love you have for have for a brother or a really good friend. this kind of love exists when people share the same values and dispositions with someone and the feelings are reciprocated
EXAMPLE: two friends talk about how deeply they understand each other, and how that security and openness causes them to feel comfortable and taken care of.

LUDUS PLAYFUL LOVE

a flirtatious and teasing kind of love. this love is very childlike and fun.
EXAMPLE: best described by thinking of two people who just want to have fun together, with little need for security or roots.

AGAPE LOVE OF THE SOUL

a selfless love; love for humanity. the love you give without expecting anything in return. a compassionate love that makes one sympathize with, help and connect to people
EXAMPLE: the person that is always giving to others, and needing nothing in return. they show their love, and they are energized through love. by giving all that they have, and all that they are, to those around them, they find beauty in life.

PHILAUTIA LOVE OF THE SELF

essential to any kind of love. you can only love others if you truly love yourself.
1. a love that is selfish and seeks pleasure, fame, and wealth; narcissism
EXAMPLE: the kind of love that takes and does not give back in return — this is someone who only uses others to excel in life. the social climbers of the world.

2. the love we give to ourselves.
EXAMPLE: can be seen in a couple that is a union, not a melting pot. They both do their own things, but they come together and support each others own growth.

STORGE LOVE OF THE CHILD

the love parents naturally feel for their children. based on natural feelings and effortless love. the love that knows forgiveness, acceptance and sacrifice. the one that makes you feel secure, comfortable and safe.
example: the kind of love your mother gives you, or your very best friend. It is rooted in friendship, and understanding, but there is also a deep emotional connection there.