TOWERS

Topper and I finally stood from our spots on the floor, exiting out of the hallway as we heard a commotion outside. We exited out the doors to the patio only to see Kie standing up as JJ was being manhandled by a security guard. Topper and I parted ways as he went to stand with his friends and I went to Kie's side.

"I'm a member of this club," She yelled as JJ pushed the guard off of him.

"Sorry about that," JJ mumbled as the guard grunted from the shove. I laughed at JJ's face because he was not sorry.

"Hey, mandatory power hour at Rixon's, Kie, the ever beautiful Harper," JJ yelled to us before turning to Pope. I giggled at the boy's comment as the rest of the party glared at his disruption.

"Pope, you as well, all right?"

"Rixon's Cove. Let's roll," he yelled. I looked at Kie as her parents tried to hold us back. We both had small smirks on our faces as we pulled out of their grips. They protested as we did so.

"Workers of the world unite," Either John B or JJ yelled, I couldn't quite tell as they were both far away off the patio and near the beach at this point.

"Throw off your chains!"

"I'm sorry...," Kie said to her parents before both of us took off towards the two boys, in sync with Pope who was also running towards them. The boys cheered as Kie ran into JJ's arms, spinning around. I ran straight towards John B, launching myself into his arms as he caught me, running off with me still wrapped around him, "Later, losers!"

JJ and John B had explained to us what was happening and now we'd arrived at the hawks' nest. My brain was swirling with the idea of the gold still being out there. It seemed like a fever dream after we didn't find anything with the shipwreck, but I guess not.

"Yo, uh... so, uh, I think I'm gonna do this one by myself... tonight," John B said as the thunder rumbled in the distance.

"Not happening, Bucko," I told him, pushing my way out of the van to stand next to him, "I'm coming with whether you like it or not."

"Really," Kie seethed, still mad about the whole Sarah Cameron situation.

"I don't want to spook Sarah with the peanut gallery," he said, "I'll bring Harp because well the look on her face tells me I have to and she already knows Sarah."

"I just don't understand why we're involving her at all."

"Kie, we're not involving her, okay," Yeah, right John, "It's... it's just, uh, like a... a business meeting... thing."

I tuned out the rest of the conversation as the thunder started to rumble increasingly around us. I looked up at the tall lookout tower, praying to God it doesn't collapse under the storm. John B finally pulled me away, walking towards the tower.

"So," I mumbled, "you and Sarah?"

"You and Topper," he countered, a playful glint in his eyes. I shut up, not really sure how to respond as we reached the top of the tower. It wasn't long before Sarah stumbled up the stairs.

"I got the map. Do you wanna see," She said, not noticing my presence. I hadn't really taken in her appearance at Midsummers, but we were dressed very similarly. The only difference being the colors of our dresses, but in the dark light, looked the same. John B and Sarah were discussing amongst themselves as I looked around at the view of Kildaire county.

"Did you tell your crew you were here with me?" Sarah asked him to which he slightly pointed over to me. Our eyes met for the first time since I'd returned.

Sarah sighed and told John something about not caring before saying something that shocked me, "and Topper and I broke up." She smiled at me, almost knowingly. I thought about the fact that Topper and her broke up. He obviously said it wasn't working but did I want to be in a relationship again?