Chapter 9

Dear Leela,

Hi! Jeffie here. Jeffie Harris.

Yes, I do know you! I see you working hard all the time. You always look so focused. It's interesting. Narrowed eyebrows, lips pursed, nose crinkled, serious eyes...

Although I admit that I was a tiny bit taken aback by your letter, I'm sure that last description I made is much creepier. Haha!

I'd like to have a back-and-forth conversation. I haven't been able to connect with my roommates at all, so talking to you would make me feel a lot less alone in this really weird place.

I'll tell you about me, so I'm not just a face with a name.

I'm from New Zealand, and I have an awful accent. I absolutely hate my accent. If we ever talk in person, you'll hear it. I wish I had a nicer accent, but what can you do? *shrugs*

As you can probably guess, I love music. All kinds of music. Choral, classical, punk, rap, classic rock, emo, reggae, soul, new wave, bluegrass, country...all kinds! My favorite band is Golden Earring. Have you ever heard of them? They only had two hits: "Radar Love" and "Twilight Zone." Even so, all of their songs are awesome. "Goin' To The Run," "When The Lady Smiles," "Another 45 Miles"...I miss hearing their music now that we're here.

A couple random facts about me:

1. I got the tattoo you mentioned when I was 15. Never told my parents.
2. I love things like facial expressions and voices. I like to analyze people using these clues.
3. I was born with only one lung. Still a singer. Weird, right?
4. My best friend back on earth (weird phrase, that is) was Daniel Little. He had a way with people that I just loved. He's Lord Torken's right hand man now. Kinda scary that he's working with someone so evil...
5. I've always been very curious about outer space and what's out there. Now that I know...can't decide if I still find it as fascinating as I used to.

I'd love to learn more about you, Leela! Would you tell me more about you in your next letter?

(Also: I'm sorry this letter is kind of all over the place. I'm just so excited!)

- JH

P.S. I like using my initials a lot. This is so nerdy, but it makes me feel like I'm in on a secret.