Chapter 11

Songs that inspired this chapter: She Had The World by Panic! At The Disco

Everything progressed fast.

Life on Traolia became normal. Unsurprising. Something we could accomadate to.

Arabella still wanted to riot. She made friends with other revolutionaries, people who wanted things like mortgages and mailboxes and grocery stores and picket fence houses. They called themselves The White Masks. Arabella said the name was inspired by The Phantom of the Opera.

My love for Jeffie grew. I couldn't stop it. She was so perfect to me that I couldn't even begin to comprehend how such as person could exist. I love everything about her. Her eyes, the color of rich soil. Her glimmering hair made of pure gold. Her heart, which beat for every person, a steady time, never faltering.

We decided then that we needed to meet in real life.

She proposed it in one of her letters.

Dear Leela,

I can't wait anymore. I need to see you, to hold you, to tell you how much I love you to your face.

Tomorrow night. In the hours that we spend writing these letters, come to my room. 986. Sadly, both my roommates have been killed, but at least we'll be alone. Together.

I need you, Leela. Don't leave me hanging.

- JH xxx

I didn't leave her hanging.

That night, I left my room at 12:02.

Padded down the halls at 12:03.

Skirted through the shadows at 12:05.

Finally, I stood and basked in the light of room 986 at 12:09.

My lungs trembled as I tried to breathe. My shaky hands outstretched, I reached for the doorknob. Slowly, I got a grip on it and turned it to the right.

12:10.

12:11.

At 12:12, I saw Jeffie Harris's glowing face. Her eyes darker than ever, they had even more of a twinkle than usual. Her smile grew as I came into view.

Sure, it wasn't 11:11, but I made a wish.

I made a wish for Jeffie Harris to always be safe. Always be happy. Always be this amazing.

I closed the door softly, and she rushed to me. She held me in her arms, burying her face in my shoulder. I could feel her unsteady chest moving up and down as she breathed.

"Leela," she whispered. "Leela, Leela, Leela. Leela Jordan, you lovely human..."

"Jeffie..." I whispered back.

For once, I felt okay. I felt good. I felt warm.