━━ ch. 01

chapter one

LEILA couldn't believe she was moving away from home and into a small town until she got there and read the town sign as she drove in:

'WELCOME TO MYSTIC FALLS, VIRGINIA'

She couldn't help the smile that involuntarily appeared on her face as she parked in front of her new home. She never thought she'd be across country from her mother let alone in a small, unknown town, but she knew that this could be a fresh start. That's what everyone wanted for her anyways.

Leila didn't hesitate to leave her car, proudly engulfing herself in the spring air. Her smile kept still upon her face as she looked at the place she could now call her own. She liked the change and she couldn't deny that, even though a part of her broke as she thought of her mother.

Her mother, Nura, couldn't fathom the thought of going to another state besides their hometown in Illinois, so when she heard that Leila wanted to leave town, she wasn't excited like Leila had hoped. So next thing you know, Leila is packing her bags and driving 12 hours and leaving her entire life behind her.

She kept the grin on her face as she opened her trunk to reveal few out of ton of boxes that she owned. She had to get a lot of things shipped to her, but she was thankful that she chose to take her clothes with her, so she spent almost an hour taking the boxes and putting them inside the house.

After a while, Leila was grateful when she got to her last box. She picked it up and shut the trunk with her available hand, looking down in her pocket as she tried to fish for her keys and walk away from the car. Though because she was looking down, she didn't even notice the jogger coming until he bumped into her, completely knocking her on her butt.

"God, I'm sorry!" The jogger quickly apologized, his breathing in pants, "Here, let me help you up."

Leila looked up at the jogger, seeing him smile sympathetically at her with his hand stretched out for her to grab. She nodded and held his hand only to be lifted onto her feet in seconds, "Thank you."

He then nodded and reached down to pick up her box and hold onto it, so he could meet her eyes, "You're new here?"

"What gave me off? My rather large box?" She chuckled, and he glanced down at the box.

"Yeah, but I also jog past here everyday and never seen anyone enter or leave this house," He explained, "I would remember a face like yours." Leila was taken slight aback, seeing that she only met the guy two minutes ago by accident.

She smiled though, "I'm Leila."

"I'm Jackson," He greeted back, holding the most warmest smiles he had ever seen. They stared at each other silently for a few seconds, but when Leila noticed, she cleared her throat and looked towards her house.

"Well, it was nice meeting you, Jackson." She told him, before he handed the box to her.

"I hope this isn't the last time I see you," He responded and she raised a brow.

"And why is that?"

"Because," He paused, backing up to ready himself on jogging again, "I think one of these days I'm going to ask you out on a date."

9 months later

All Leila knew was that the floor was cold on her burning skin. That's all she felt as she laid on the floor, her body practically glued onto there. She wanted to cry. She wanted to fight back. She wanted to use her powers- to gain the upper hand. She wanted to do anything but lay out on her floor in fear.