━━ ch. 02

chapter two

BUSINESS was quiet as usual. Leila worked at Mystic Falls library, a job she found quite content with since all she did organize books, check them out for the people that wanted, and file records of who took out what book and when. Though today, she was glad that there weren't many people in the library, only elders and kids that played on the computer until it was closing time.

When she first got this job, she knew it was perfect because she could study magic and all the things about witches since that's another reason she travelled here. She knew that Mystic Falls were known for its supernatural conspiracies and because she was a part of the supernatural world, it couldn't have been a conspiracy. Though, once she met Jackson, she learned that he was apart of the Founding Families and that they didn't really tolerate for the supernatural. The majority population of Mystic Falls didn't- they were practically a modern day Witch-hunt but with all of the supernatural beings.

So, Leila kept it a secret and only ever practices magic when she's truly alone. She feared what Jackson would think of her, so she never told him or did it in front of him- she pretended that she was mundane for him.

Before she knew it, the day was done and Leila was already closing up shop. She was glad that Jackson had to spend time with his brother, Logan, so she wasn't going to see him until tomorrow. When she finished locking the door, she turned to the street and took in a breath of fresh air. She loved how this town was quiet at night, seeing only three people on the same street as her as she walked home.

Leila had took a couple of books home for herself, believing that they can keep her occupied for the time being. She was going to practice magic tonight, but everything changed when she got a call from a friend she made in town, Alaric, who invited her to Mystic Grill.

He met her in the library, because as a History teacher, he was always in there. He would always check out supernatural books along with books based off the history of this town, which caused her to start the conversation with him since it intrigued her. She never met a history teacher that was a fan of the supernatural or anyone in this town that wasn't really afraid of the supernatural.

She felt out of place walking into the grill with a stack of books in her hands, but she couldn't help but ease herself when she saw Alaric sitting in one of the booths, grading papers. She smiled as she approached him, "And to think I was going to be an oddball in here with books instead of a drink."

He looked up from the papers and smiled before holding up his beer, "Well, I've got both. It took the tenth graded summer school paper for me to come to the conclusion that I need something strong to handle the other fifty." She let out a light laugh as she sat next to him, placing her books beside her, "Doing a bit of light reading?"

He eyed the stack of books she held onto, counting at least five novels as she hummed at his sarcasm, "Yeah, you could say that." He only laughed and put away his papers before she flagged down the bartender, "Bourbon."

The bartender then nodded before briefly walking away and returning with her drink, "Since when are you a fan of bourbon?"

Leila then grinned as she sipped her drink, "Since today." She took another sip, though this one was longer before she put the glass down and let out a sigh before looking at Alaric's quizzical expression, "It was a long weekend."

And it was for her. Her body still ached from last night's fight with Jackson, so she walked with a light limp. She couldn't remember much from what happened, but she was glad because she didn't want to remember what happened. She didn't want to come to terms that last night was one of the many worst nights she's had with Jackson.

They argued like any couple would, but at times, their arguments turned violent and it was only one sided. Six months into the relationship, Jackson became physical in the arguments and it only got worst as time went on. Leila would always receive some sort of apology immediately after from him, whether it was flowers or his own words. She accepted both relentlessly with a smile that faded more and more each time. She would always forgive him.

Alaric hummed in agreement, polishing off his beer before looking past her and groaning heavily. She raised a brow at him but watched his eyes move until a stranger walked past her and sat beside Alaric with a wide smile. "Are you not happy to see me, Ric?"

Leila silently watched the stranger, taking in his heavily dark hair that hung slightly over his forehead above his eyes, that she realized were very bright under the dimly lit bar. Alaric then huffed out, "What do you need, Damon?"

"I was wondering..." Damon trailed off before quickly meeting Leila's eyes, his cold ones boring into hers. Caught off guard, Leila paid attention to her drink and sipped it again, but Damon still eyed her until Alaric nudged him and he looked back at his friend, "I was wondering if you found anything new with Stefan."

"If I did, I would have called you, Damon." Alaric responded, watching Damon's eyes continue to glance over at Leila, "But no, I haven't. You know a lot more than Elena and I combined, so you should be the one coming to us with new information- especially Elena."

"She will know in due time, relax," Damon assured, but leaned on the bar slightly, to see if he could look at Leila again, "Alaric is such a rude person that he didn't even introduce me to his study date."

Leila then looked up, looking at Damon as Alaric spoke for her, "This is Leila, and she's not my study date."

"Well, the books and paper say otherwise," Damon snickered, eyeing Leila's books briefly, "I'm Damon."

"Nice to meet you," She smiled and he smiled back, finding the joy she put in her smile to be grateful. She then broke eye contact with him to look at Alaric, "I should get going. These books aren't going to read themselves."

Alaric nodded, both of the men watching her get out of her seat and stand before going in her pocket to grab her wallet. Though, before she could place down any money, a twenty dollar bill was already placed down, causing her to shoot her head up and look at Damon, who smirked, "It's on us."

She stood in place, staring at him cautiously before nodding and mumbling a thanks. She quickly grabbed her books and turned on her heels, leaving Mystic Grill without looking back.

Alaric let out another huff, "Don't, Damon."

"Don't what?" Damon retorted, raising a brow at his friend.

"Don't try anything with Leila. She's too good for your corruption and she has a boyfriend," Ric explained and Damon evidently rolled his eyes.

"I'm not going to do anything, Ric. How could you think so low of me?" Damon wondered, but when Alaric gave him a look, he let out a sigh and thought to himself, she is too good for me.