Chapter 34

Vincent's POV:

It has been three hours since Amara was taken into the ICU. I can't sit down and just wait. I feel like I am going crazy.

"Hey, any update?" I ask the nurse that just walked out of her room.

"Like the last 10 times, no. She's still in a critical state but we are trying our best." She pats my arm and walks off. The bullet had hit an important artery and Amara had lost a lot of blood by the time we got to the hospital.

"I can't believe it was her teacher all along." Mrs Winter mutters under her breath.

"He's in custody right now," I say softly and she nods. I turn and see someone at the end of the corridor slyly stealing glances. It was Vanessa. She sees me looking at her and her eyes widen. Just the mere sight of her makes me seethe with anger.

"Are you okay?" Pandora asks and Hazel and Xander turn towards me.

"No. I just saw Vanessa." I don't wait for another second and storm off where Vanessa was standing. I turn the corner and see her walking away. "Vanessa!" I know she heard me but she doesn't stop. She picks up her speed and so do I.

She's about to open the door to leave when someone slams into her and takes her down. I notice it was Hazel.

"WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU DOING HERE?" Hazel screams at her. "ANSWER ME!" She screams again in her face and I notice Pandora pulling her off of her.

"I just wanted to see if Amara was okay," Vanessa says softly and Hazel scoffs.

"YOU FUCKING SHOT HER!" Hazel lurches forward to attack her again but Pandora holds her back.

"You should leave." I hear Xander say and you could tell he was really hurt. This girl dated him as a distraction then dumped him for me and now shot his best friend.

"Xander..." Vanessa whispers slowly.

"Leave." His voice was stern.

"No. Amara is my best friend." She stands her ground.

"Best friend? Do you even know what that means?" It was Hazel who was speaking. "You helped your psychopath brother stalk her and kidnap her because you wanted her boyfriend. Don't you fucking dare call yourself her best friend."

The silence overlapped us as we stood there glaring at Vanessa.

"Get the fuck out of here Vanessa." I finally say and she looks up at me. She stares at me for a second and then nods.

We walk back into the hospital and see that the doctor was speaking to Mr and Mrs Smith. We rush over to see what she was saying.

"We've stabled her but the next couple of hours are dangerous."

"Can we meet her?" Mrs Winter asks.

"Not yet. She's unconscious and we need to be monitoring her vitals all the time." She gives a small smile and walks off.

"She's okay." I breathe out and it feels like a weight has been lifted off my shoulder.

***

A few hours later

Everyone was running around but it was like time had slowed down. Nurses and Doctors were running in and out of the room and shouting things at each other but I could barely pay attention.

"We're losing her." I hear someone shout as they rush into the room Amara was in and I feel my heart crash. She was showing signs of improvements and she was stable an hour ago but then suddenly her heart rate started to drop.