Chapter 2

Jade

"It's time to rise, Empress." Amalthea's voice cut through my sleep. I couldn't remember when I had finally stumbled back up to my chambers during the feast, nor where I had left the gown, but I remember the last cup of wine was probably one too many. I pulled a pillow over my head.

The bed could stay, I firmly decided in the night. It swallowed me up like clouds. I could toss and spread my arms out and not be afraid I would tip over the cot and spill out, or loosen one of the ropes. There was even more than one pillow. The bed was definitely staying. The flowers, which had spun during the night, could go.

"She also said to remind you that you are to meet with the Lords of the Capital this morning." Amalthea was at the foot of the bed, opening the trunk and rummaging in my things, no doubt looking for something suitable for me to wear. She pulled out a navy linen tunic and held it up. It was my favorite. My mother had embroidered little white flowers along the collar. Amalthea set it on the corner of the bed.

"So it's still morning then?" My voice was muffled as I peeked out from under the pillow.

"It is. Your mother said you didn't like to oversleep." The small girl pulled out a pair of tan trousers.

"No, not those. The dark leather ones." I slowly emerged from my comfortable fort of pillows and blankets, and crawled to the edge of the bed where I sat with my legs crossed. A jeweled pin fell out of my hair. I groaned. I must have looked quite a sight.

"Shall I draw a bath for you?" Amalthea set the leather trousers beside my tunic.

A bath? I hadn't had one of those in quite some time. Usually I had a basin and a rag to wash with, a stream if my mother and I could convince the men to stay away long enough to let us have a turn. "A bath would be wonderful, thank you, Amalthea."

Amalthea disappeared into a smaller side room, one I hadn't bothered to explore yesterday. I could hear water filling a metal tub, a heavenly sound. Reluctantly, I crawled the rest of the way out of bed, standing only in my short shift, and dug around the trunk to find the leather doublet to pair with the tunic and trousers. I wanted the fancy lords to remember that I lived my life by the sword, and that I didn't spend my days sitting on overstuffed cushions.

"Come," the small girl appeared in the doorway to the other room. "Your bath will cool." She disappeared back into the room, a clear order to follow her. Who was I to disobey?

A large, copper tub sat in the middle of the tiled room, vines hammered into the side. Steam lifted off the top of the water and I couldn't help but sigh. While Amalthea busied herself at a side table, probably with some oils I would decline when she brought them over, I shimmied out of my shift and unceremoniously climbed into the tub. A bit of water carelessly spilled over the edge as I slipped below the surface, the hot water closing over the top of my head. I stayed there a long moment, pretending the world would be different when I came up for air.

Alas, it was not. As soon as I came up, water dripping off my nose, I was reminded I was Empress. Amalthea was standing by the edge, a little gold edged bowl in her hands. I wrinkled my nose at it.

"Don't worry, Empress, it isn't something with flower perfume. Just something to help ease the aches from a long ride."

I still eyed it suspiciously, but my knees and back did ache. Sighing, I dipped my head back, renegade pins clanging against the copper. Amalthea pulled a small stool over to the tub and added the potion to the hot water. Whatever it was, it had a lovely woodsy smell that was comforting.

Amalthea sat behind my head, carefully pulling jeweled pins out of my hair and beginning to detangle the mess of braids and curls my hair had become. Thankfully, her fingers were gentle. "Amalthea?"