Chapter 8

Jade

The first day, Sybilla set a brisk pace. She marched us over fallen logs, through thick underbrush, and crossed a few shallow creeks. I didn't question where she was leading me, for now. Looking about, I had yet to find a landmark I recognized, and if Sybilla was going to lead me to a trap, it wasn't as if I wasn't armed, in fair health, and after my experience with the Hired Hands, I wasn't sure I cared if it was a trap. A trap meant more people, and perhaps, more answers.

By the next morning, laying on my little wool blanket from the moving village, I was feeling the days of being immobile. Rolling on my side to face the little fire Sybilla had started took far more energy than I wanted to admit, even to myself. I stared at the little licks of flames as Sybilla set a small animal, already skinned, over the fire to roast. Whoever Sybilla actually was, she was proving to be a valuable asset. Clearly, I was in no position to hunt for myself. I needed time, and food, both of which we had little.

Slowly, I sat myself up, running my fingers through my curls, pulling at the knots. I swayed a little, but remained upright long enough to braid my hair. What a poor companion I was turning out to be, incapable of almost anything.

"You were asleep for three days as far as I can tell. No telling how long you were on the bridge though. Still, better than me. I was out five. I don't envy how you feel right now, but I understand." The red head poked at the animal, checking it as it cooked. The smell made my stomach rumble. "Give yourself time."

I sighed, leaning over on my side. "Time we do not have. If what you say is true and this is the past, I am at a crucial point in my campaign. My disappearance from where I should be could destroy everything."

Sybilla nodded. "Well, we wouldn't want that."

I gnawed at my lip, buying time, and breathing through my nose. "No, Sybilla. We wouldn't. I don't think you understand what is at stake."

She looked up from her meal preparations, meeting my gaze. "I do, Jade. Believe me. I know very well what this emperor is capable of and his cruelties to those outside his circle. But I cannot very well deliver the future empress dead on her feet."

"And how do you intend to deliver me?"

The red-head was silent for a moment before peeling off a leg and handing the little meat to me across the fire. "Healthy and ready to fight."

I said nothing as I took the offered meat, as little as it might be, and bit into it. I let its gamey flavor soothe me, reminding me of days with Gil when we were young, before we worried about battle lines, troops of men, and putting a crown on my head. We would head out into the woods, just the two of us, and spend a night there. Just the two of us, with the trees and little game to hunt and roast. There was laughter, spooky stories to scare ourselves, and a dear friend. As I helped Sybilla finish off our meal, I felt the pang of him between my ribs.

Sybilla was already up, packing her things away as I sat and dreamt of a time before the weight of the Empire sat on my shoulders. She eyed me from time to time, but said nothing. I was grateful she chose not to pry, though I could see she desperately wanted to peer into my head. Spies were like that, always trying to get the whole story. It was in their nature.

I reluctantly climbed to my feet, rolling my blanket up and tying it up with another strip of old material. Everything felt sluggish, as if I was walking through a swamp with roots pulling at my feet. Clenching and unclenching my fists, I closed my eyes, breathed deep and willed myself into action.

"I'm fine. Let's go. Where are we going?"

She shouldered her bag and started off, expecting me to follow, which I did. "Well. Like you said, we need answers. Best I can gather, we head to the coast. First, there will be villages closer to the coast with a few more open minded views. Might be we find some good information, lass. Second, we find Icarius."