Part 12 - Liam

Liam sighed. "This is a long story, so just listen, okay?" He couldn't believe that he was about to tell her this story, the reason why he didn't want to date her, ruin her life. He felt physical pain every time he talked about it, like his heart was being ripped from his chest.

Alex nodded.

"Okay, Well, Sophie and I met in high school, freshman year. Dated all four years, went to college together, all four years. She's a speech therapist? Works at a hospital? Anyhow, after graduation, we got married, got jobs and bought the house. Then we tried to start a family." The American Dream, he thought. He wanted it all and it seemed possible.

Liam looked up. Alex was watching him intently. He took another deep breath. "We tried for over a year with no luck. Then, Sophie went to the doctor. She was fine, they told her. She just needed to relax. Another year passed and Sophie made me go to the doctor."

Liam tried to slow his breathing, relax. This was humiliating, telling people this. Explaining that he was the problem, he was a failure. "It was me. My sperm are slow, I guess?"

Alex gasped. "Oh, Liam. I am so sorry."

Liam shook his head. "I'm not done." That's right, he thought, it gets even worse.

Alex nodded. "Okay, go on."

With a deep sigh, Liam continued. "So, we went to see a specialist? And they had us try in vitro-fertilization. 10,000 dollars a pop. We tried twice. It didn't work. So, we gave up. We stopped even talking to each other. Then, one day, I find her in the bathroom, puking, crying. She was pregnant and she was so happy. Like, over the moon, crying and snotting everywhere. But, we hadn't been together for months? It wasn't MY baby. I couldn't give her what she wanted so she cheated on me. She cheated on me so she could have a baby. And when we got divorced? She bought her daughter with her to the courtroom, I think just to show me that she wasn't the broken one. It was me. I'm not...right?" Liam cried, thinking of all he had wanted. He was left a broken, miserable, shell of his former self. Nothing felt good anymore, until he saw Alex. And now? She'd probably walk away.

Alex ran across the room and threw her arms around Liam's neck, crying. His arms moved around her waist and his face went into her neck and he let loose, bawling for all he'd lost.