Part 23 - Liam

"What happened?" Liam looked up at the sudden silence. No people were talking, there was just the sound of the music over the speakers.

Niall leaned in. "I think Michelle smacked someone." He pointed over to the bathroom.

Liam looked around. "Where is Alex?" he asked.

Niall looked at Liam and shrugged. "I saw her take Jackie to the bathroom? I'm afraid that..." Niall didn't want to finish the sentence.

Liam nodded and walked over to Michelle, grabbed her arm and dragged her to the front door of the loft. "What are you doing here?"

Michelle smiled. "I was invited."

"Try again."

"Okay, my friend was invited and brought me." Michelle admitted.

"Get out." Liam said, opening the door and pushing her. "I don't want you around me if you are going to be rude to my girlfriend."

Michelle stumbled out the door. "You can't..."

Liam shut the door and went to look for Alex.

She wasn't anywhere downstairs, so he headed up to the patio. She wasn't there, either. He waited outside the bathroom but the person who came out wasn't Alex. The only other place was the closet. He opened the door and saw her sitting on the floor, legs crossed and her face in her hands. "What are you doing?"

"Waiting for my face to stop being red. Everyone saw. I am so embarrassed." Alex answered.

Liam sat down next to her and put an arm around her. "Did she hurt you?"

Alex shook her head. "No. Well, just my pride. I need to think before I speak, I guess."

Liam huffed. "I don't care what you said. She had no right to touch you, let alone talk to you. I threw her out the door."

Alex laughed. "Well." she said. Then she just leaned into Liam and closed her eyes.

Liam let her sit until she seemed calm. "So, what's the plan here? Do we live here now? In Harry's closet?"

Alex looked around. "I think its Lou's closet, actually." She smiled at Liam. "Do you think he'd mind?"

Liam nodded. "Very much. If we wrinkle anything? Wow. I don't want to be here for that." He looked at his watch. "It's midnight. Lou will announce the winners soon and people will start to head home. We can sneak out? If you really don't want to see anyone?"

"How?" Alex looked around. "The door is down a flight and across a room."

Liam grinned and stood, reaching for her hand. He pulled her out and took her out to the patio and over to the edge. The fire escape was a simple step down. He jumped over the wall and then helped her over. They went down two ladders and dropped to the ground. "See?" he said. "No problem."

Alex laughed and grabbed his hand, running to his truck. "Jackie will be mad at us."

They reached the truck and hopped inside. Liam pulled her close and kissed her. "Who cares? She can't win anyhow. Lou cheats"

Alex laughed again.

Liam woke up Saturday morning wrapped around Alex. Her phone was chiming. She must have set an alarm for work. He reached across her and hit snooze.

"Ugh, your armpit is in my face." Alex groaned.

Liam laughed. "Well, then turn off your alarm."

Alex rolled herself so she was facing Liam. "Convince me to call off."

Liam laughed. "I would, but I have a practice. Our first game is next week. Go, get ready, I'll make you something for breakfast before I drive you to Lou's."

Liam dropped her off and went to his own practice, telling Lou that she was leaving at 2. "I'm coming for her at 2, Lou. No ifs, ands, or buts."

Lou huffed. "What if I need her longer? Just because you know that owner doesn't make her replaceable."

"I didn't want her taking the job anyhow. She's too busy to see me much as is it. 2 o'clock. Is Harry ready? I told him I'd drive him to practice."

"We aren't driving. It's two blocks."

Liam looked up. Harry was coming down the stairs with his equipment bag. Then he sighed. He knew Harry was right. "Fine. Let's go. I'll grab my stuff on the way out." He kissed Alex and headed out the door.

"So," Harry said as they walked down the sidewalk. "Where'd you go last night? I watched you throw Michelle out the door, then you disappeared. Thanks, by the way. She was not on the guest list."

"Alex was embarrassed. She wanted to leave. We went down the fire escape."

Harry laughed. "She is so dang quiet. I mean, I've only once even heard her raise her voice. Even the day she helped me? I did most of the talking. Does she talk to you?"

Liam nodded. "Sure. All the time. She's just quiet. I don't mind. I like it. I've always been with loud women. I'm not exactly winning any prizes for being loud myself."

"This is true, man. Silent but deadly. I wouldn't want to get hit by you." Harry shoved him and Liam shoved him back. "Those Roach Bar Boys better watch out."

"Yep, you've got the style but I bring the Payne!" Liam laughed.

Harry made a face. "That was a horrible joke." Then he laughed and pushed Liam in the door, ready to get on the ice.