Chapter Five

Diana stands ready with her bow, waiting for Damon to appear, she knows he will, he won't be able to resist himself. A darkened figure appears in the doorway and Diana lets her arrow go which hits its target, only it's not Damon, as she expected. It's Derek. Diana lets out a horrified breath as Derek looks down at the arrow then at Diana before he falls.

"No" She whispers. "No, no, no" She scolds herself as she begins to cry with the realization of what she has just done. Hurt. Potentially killed her only remaining friend, the only other human in her life. She lets out a cry of pain, and releases an impressive quake with her anguish that shakes the entire barn to its core, everyone is thrown back, unfortunately, it breaks all the cells. Diana snaps out her bow turning it into a bow-staff and uses it to attack Damon, he blocks and ducks every swing. He's not really going to hurt his friend. The only one he actually has left.

"Diana" Damon scolds, she lets out a battle cry and fights harder, Damon only just managing to avoid her blows. Elena sees Derek's blood seeping from his wound.

"Elena," Stefan whispers. Elena watches the blood slowly spreading across the floor towards her as Diana and Damon fight. Elena reaches her hand out and reaches for the blood that is pouring from Derek's wound. She reaches as far as she can, but still cannot get close enough to get any blood. The blood is still running towards her and finally, she is able to place her fingertips in it. She puts her hand to her mouth and licks the blood off her fingers. She starts to regain the color in her face. Damon slams Diana back against the wall as she cries heavily. Her emotions overtaking her.

"Look at what you've done!" Damon scolds her, her eyes flicker to Derek and she just cries harder. "Now let me save him, whilst I still can," Damon tells her, he releases her and she falls to the ground with her pain. Damon moves to Derek and removes the arrow from him before he feeds the human his blood. Ghost!Alaric crouches at Diana's side, he cries with her because this is all his fault. He caused her this pain. And he can't fix it.

...............

Diana sits on the couch in the Gilbert house staring at the wall in front of her. Ghost!Alaric is sat in the armchair close by, vigilant over his wife. Damon takes a seat at her side. She takes a breath.

"I just want to sit and stare at nothing, and silently scream for the rest of time." She admits quietly. Damon nods in agreement. "How's Derek?"

"He's fine" He assures her. "He's seeing to the twins" She nods a little. "How do you feel?"

"I hate everyone," She tells him. "For everything that led up to this moment" She looks at Damon. "Nothing is going to change that...But I have undone my mistakes" She assures him. He frowns at her. "The Council will no longer be a problem" She looks forward again. "I have seen to that"

...........

At the Pastor's Ranch, Pastor Young releases the gas hose from the back of his stove. The Council is gathered in the house with him.

"Folks, by now, you know that the vampires have escaped." Pastor Young admits. There is vervain lying on the table. The Council members are passing it around to each other. "And it won't be long before they retaliate against us. But fear not;" He locks the front door. "For I have been chosen to lead us in a movement."

"What are you talking about?"

"Hear me, loved ones. Soon you'll be free to pass through the gates." He pulls a lighter out of his pocket. "And we'll all reunite in eternity."

"Seriously, Pastor, what's going on here?"

"Friends. We are the beginning." Pastor Young lights the lighter. The Council members scream with fear. The gas explodes.

.............

Liz Forbes frowns a little as one of her deputies hands back her badge. She takes it and he walks away from her.

............

Carol Lockwood locks her car as she leaves it and heads towards the Lockwood mansion. A member of the town council, the normal, non-supernatural council approaches her.

"Mayor" He states, Carol frowns at him. "It seems that there was a clerical error, we are happy to inform you that you have been reinstated" He smiles at her and then walks away. Carol just frowns harder.

............

Meredith sits in her office and looks around, her medical license having been reinstated. She lets out a breath and leans on her elbows.

............

Diana brushes her hair back and then touches her crystal. Damon glances at it and then to her face.

"We'll fix it" He assures her. "Whatever happened to it...."

"No" She stops him, he frowns at her. "You can't fix it" She adds. "Because It's not broken...I am" She looks at Damon. "It senses my emotions, and I am in so much pain that it is trying to protect me the only way it knows how to...." She sighs. "By making me stronger, by....shutting my human side down...It won't fix....not until I fix myself....and that's not going to happen any time soon" Diana stands. "I need to take the twins home" She admits and walks away from him. Damon watches her go sadly, because if there is nothing to fix, he can't help his friend. Ghost!Alaric glances at Damon.