Chapter Fifty

Diana smiles a little watching Elena graduate. Who knew this day would come? She folds her arms over her chest, her eyes saddening, tears gathering. At least she got to see this. Alaric appears next to her.

"I know what you are going to do" He admits, she hums a little.

"I know" She offers and looks up at him. "Telepath, knew you were eavesdropping" she reminds him and shrugs. "It has to be me, Ric," She tells him. "It's not fair....but it's the right thing to do" She parrots back at him, he sighs and nods. "The veil has to go back up, and my blood is what is needed, so...." She shrugs. "Athena knows what to do with the twins..."

"And you're okay with dying?" He asks her.

"I'm not okay with it" She corrects him. "I'm far from it" She brushes her knuckle under her eye to remove a tear. "I am not going to be part of my children's future...neither of us are" She lets out a breath. "But what else can be done...It has to be me" he takes her cheeks in his hands and sighs because he knows she is right. "And the veil has to go back up...." She nods and takes a shaky breath. Alaric pulls her into a hug, she cries against him.

...........

Diana sets her finished manuscript on her dining table along with her lasso and her necklace. They should go to her children. Along with a lot of other things but she's left instructions for Derek with Athena who knows what to do upon Diana's death. Alaric touches her back and she looks at him. They share a look and she nods. She takes Alaric's hand and they leave the apartment together.

...........

At the Salvatore Boarding House, Damon strides across his room bare-chested. He's starting to put a shirt on when Elena arrives.

"Hi" He offers.

"Are you feeling better?" Elena asks him.

"Yeah"

"So it's all healed up?"

"Fresh as a daisy."

"Good." Elena slaps a hand hard across Damon's face.

..........

Downstairs, Lexi, Alaric, and Stefan settle down with drinks in the living room.

"Ouch!" Lexi teases.

"Yeah, my wife taught her that swing." Alaric points out proudly. Lexi laughs.

"You know it's not polite to eavesdrop, right?" Stefan asks them.

"Hey, I'm short on time here. Don't rob me of what little joy I have." Lexi counters with a smile. Elena walks into the room.

"Anyone seen Jeremy?" Elena asks.

"Oh, he went to see Bonnie. He'll be back later. You know, before...well, you know." Alaric answers.

"Yeah. Stefan, can I, um...can I have a moment?"

"Sure." Elena and Stefan leave the room together. Lexi turns to Alaric.

"This could get interesting." Lexi comments.

"Usually does." Alaric offers.

"So, the Other Side...Not exactly a party, is it?"

"I've lived...better," Alaric admits, his eyes on Diana as she enters the room. Lexi looks at her and nods before turning back to Alaric.

"You know there's something else out there, right? There has to be. Silas' whole agenda was to find peace with his one true love, and whatever 'peace' is...it's out there. I figure once we've served our time for all the bad things we've done, then it's just about letting go, moving on." Lexi explains to him.