Chapter 9

I continued my notes, mostly centred around faults of the team members which, if fixed, I could include as improvements they've made throughout the year.

Across from the bleachers, the big glass doors into the room opened as Carlos slid inside. He spotted me, then threw up his hand to wave and I waved back. Carlos never came to swim meets. Actually, he never even attended school events other than those that required him as a member of the football team.

He jogged around the pool, then joined me on the bleachers. "Hey, Moray." He greeted joyfully.

"Hi, Carlos. What are you doing here?" He had taken off his varsity jacked, wearing just a white t-shirt. He was a lean kind of muscular, with big, muscular shoulders that stretched the fabric of his top.

"Oh, to see you." I blushed, unbelievably flustered. "I realised you must be pretty upset about not being able to compete and you were alone so I thought you could use some company."

"I'm not alone." I spluttered. "Gabriel," I waved over my shoulder to him. "He's the new Yearbook photographer. I'm here with him."

"Oh."

Carlos seemed to not remember that I told him exactly what was happening today just an hour ago in chemistry. Maybe it just sounded like both Gabriel and I would be here but not sitting next to each other, having a conversation as we were. Or maybe... could Carlos be jealous?

"Yeah." Gabriel shrugged.

"But you can stay. You know more about competitive sports than he does, you'd make better conversation."

"That's true," Gabriel started. "I know absolutely nothing. She used the term "MVP" before, and I was like: 'What is that?', you know?" I only just noticed the slight sarcastic tone to his voice, but Carlos missed it completely.

"Oh, it means Most Valuable Player. It's like the player that brings the most to the team."

Gabriel opened his mouth in an 'O' shape, as if he was in awe at the reply. He was really being a dick. "Really? I never would have guessed, that. You must be incredibly smart, Charles. That was your name, right? Charles?"

"Actually, it's Carlos."

"Hey, Gabriel, don't you think you could get better pictures from that corner, over there?" I suggested. I didn't quite understand what was going on right now.

"On the other side of the pool?"

"Yes." I stared at him, eyes wide trying to convey the message that I did not want him here.

"No, I like the pictures from here, actually."

"Well, I don't and I'm the one who graciously gave up the role of photographer for you so I think you like pictures taken from over there." I pointed, I saw Carlos smirk out the corner of my eye.

Gabriel rolled his eyes, picked up his camera bag that had been sitting beside me on the bench, and headed to the other side. Carlos then sat down beside me, his hands resting on either side of his legs at the edge of the seat, his right hand only an inch away from my left thigh. I felt my heart flutter.

"What do you think of Gabriel? Honestly?" He piped up.

Honestly I was kind of pissed at him. Gabriel had no reason to treat Carlos that way and his sarcasm wasn't even funny, he was just being a complete dick. But I didn't want to admit that to Carlos. As much as I disapproved of Gabriel's behaviour, I didn't like how comfortable Carlos had gotten at bad-mouthing him.

"I don't know, he's not exactly fun to be around. But the girls seemed to think he was a good photographer so..."

"He seems to irritate you."

"He seems to irritate you, too."

For a second, Carlos seemed to falter, and opened his mouth to say one thing, then swallowed and said something different.

"No, I'm sure he's a decent guy, he just doesn't give the best first impression." Carlos explained.

"Oh, you have no idea. First day of school, he walks into the Yearbook room and just stands there, silently, while we're all waiting for him to speak. It was the most awkward minute of my life! And then he just steals my job as photographer, snaps a picture of us, and leaves."

"Ugh, creepy." Carlos laughed. "I bet your pictures were better than his anyway."

"Maybe." I Mumbled, not entirely sure.

Even Cara was shocked at the quality of Gabriel's photos. She's never said anything more than "Looks clear." to any of my pics.

"Definitely!" He whispered, nudging my shoulder as he leant closer to my ear. I had to tighten my fist to try to stop myself from blushing as the heat of his breath on my cheek sent shivers down my spine. This has got to be flirting!

We spent the rest of the meet discussing the swimmers, and he even made a note that Eva's form became sloppy as she neared the end of her lap, which launched into the same conversation about athletes that care more for being the best than for doing their best, except Carlos just related with a story about one of his teammates instead of trying to launch into an uncomfortable discussion about flaws in the scholarship admission system.

"Okay then," I started once the meet had finished. "I need to meet back up with Gabriel, so I guess I'll see you tomorrow, in chemistry."

Carlos reached out for my unbroken wrist to stop me from walking away. "My party," He said. "It starts at 9 on Saturday. Bring a jacket, we always end up sitting outside. I'm really excited to introduce you to my friends, it'd be so cool if you became a part of the group."

Now I was weirded out. I didn't want to be friends with the football team. They all emanated the smell of sweat mixed with un-ironically using the term "baby girl".

I don't even wanna know how they act when inebriated. But the gesture was incredibly sweet, and I really liked Carlos.

Maybe it was like a test, see if I get along with his friends and can get their seal of approval. I barely had time to decide whether or not this offended me before I replied, "Okay, I'm excited too." Lies.

By now, Gabriel was already walking over to me, his head down in his camera reviewing the photos he'd taken.

"Only a couple more snaps and you can get out of this chlorinated hell." I reminded him when I caught up.

"What?" He said, snapping back into reality. "Oh, no. I actually don't mind the pool smell, reminds me of my dad. It's the competition part that bothers me."

We manoeuvred through the few crowd members leaving the pool, some of which I caught discussing Olympics-bound Eva Moss. "Does he swim?"

"Its just one of his many hobbies." He answered, almost annoyed with his own words. "He tried to get me into it when I was young, but I don't like to get my hair wet."

"You do seem like the dramatic type." I commented.

We eventually reached the team and I gave them hugs and congratulated them on their times, answered questions about my arm, and then took some last minute photos. I said goodbye to everyone as Coach was giving her email to Gabriel, demanding he sends her every picture of the team taken today, no doubt to be spammed into the P.E. department email chain. She loved to brag about her girls.

I left school happy, because today was the first of many events alongside Gabriel and, despite a few hiccups, he was moderately bearable.