Chapter 15

We played another round of beer pong (Carlos and I won) and then I met back up with Addison and Cara who were sitting by the fire, chatting with Sam and another guy.

They introduced us to each other. The other guy's name was Lucas and he was a new student at our school, in the grade below us. According to Sam, he's also an amazing football player, even giving Carlos a run for his money.

"So, are you Italian?" He asked. I just kind of stared at him, confused. "Your name? Its Bella, like Isabella? It's an Italian name."

"Oh, no. It's just Bella and I'm not Italian. I like spaghetti, though." I trailed off. "Maybe I am Italian."

"You are the whitest person I know. You have light brown hair and blue eyes. I don't think you're Italian." Cara listed. Her grandfather was a born and raised Italian, so I think I trusted her judgement.

"But how can you dispute the spaghetti?" Lucas joked. I giggled at him, not because I found the joke funny, but more because I was drunk and he was kinda cute.

Addison turned her phone screen to Cara, then they both looked up at me. "Gabe's here to pick us up." Cara announced. "Are you sure you're okay here by yourself?"

"Oh, yeah. Go. I'll see you guys on Monday."

They stood up and walked away, leaving me and Lucas alone. He turned to me and asked, "So Bella, how do you know Carlos?"

"Oh, we met one of the first days of kindergarten." I explained, the anecdote bringing a smile to my face. "I knew how to tie shoelaces and he didn't, so every time they came undone he'd come to me and ask me to help. We've been friends ever since."

"Just friends?" He questioned. "I hope you're just friends, because you're kinda cute."

I felt my face heat up and my cheeks go bright red. I had never, ever been outright flirted with.

"I was hoping Carlos and I might become more..." I thought over my plan, then remembered how Carlos seemed to get upset when I spent time with Gabriel, and I suddenly turned absolutely sadistic. "But he hasn't made a move yet and I don't really want to wait around for him all year." I don't know how to flirt, but hopefully the light smirk on my face was enough to send the message.

"Well, I don't want to go out with a girl who has feelings for someone else. So, how about we just make him a little jealous." I grinned and nodded my head.

Lucas grabbed my hand and we walked down to side of the house, just out of everyones line of sight. I could feel Carlos' eyes burning into my back. I leant with my back to the wall and Lucas held his hand just over my right shoulder. He leant in, just close enough that I could feel his warm breath on the tip of my nose.

"What now?" I asked. "Do we start making loud smooching sounds?"

"Might work." He laughed.

"If Carlos likes me, wont this make him hate you."

"Oh, he already does." Lucas had an evil smile on his face. "I just moved here, I'm younger, and theres already talk about labelling me the new MVP. The guy is threatened by me, so this ought to force him to make a move."

Carlos turned the corner and softly shoved Lucas' shoulder. "What the fuck are you doing? She is way out of your league." His voice was playful, but his eyes were stern.

"I don't know what you mean." Lucas said sarcastically. His grin betrayed his act. "Bella and I were just having a chat." Carlos continued to glare at him. "But if it does progress... can we use the guest room?"

I couldn't help but drop my jaw. Lucas was playing with fire, and I really didn't want to see him get hurt. He was a cheeky little shit, but I was beginning to like him.

"Get out of my fucking house." Carlos growled. I felt my stomach start doing flips. I had never heard Carlos use that tone before but I really wanted him to use it again.

"Nice to meet you, Bella." He smirked. "See you on the field, Shy."

The line sounded like it was from a cheesy rom-com, but it really bothered Carlos. I could see him clenching his jaw and tightening his fists in anger.

"I like you." Carlos announced, the angry tone still present in his voice. "And I thought you liked me. But you're at my party and were about to hook up with Lucas. Fucking Lucas?"

"We really were just talking."

The outburst forced me out of my drunken state and I was suddenly alert and losing every ounce of courage gained over the last couple hours.

"You like me?"

"I was going to ask you out at the end of the night." His eyes dropped down to his feet and he seemed... out-of-character. I couldn't really explain it, like maybe he was usually playing an act but right now it had faltered and I was looking at the real Carlos. I think I liked him like this. "You really were just talking."

I sighed, rolling a small rock under my shoe. "I was trying to make you jealous." I squared my shoulders, sitting up straight. Right now was not the time to play sweet and naive. I knew what I did, and for the first time tonight I could clearly see that I was a dick for flirting with Lucas. "I like you, too."

I stared up into his brown eyes, worried that I'd made a fool of myself. He slowly reached out his hand to my right hip. His fingertips slid over a patch of skin that peaked out under my top and above my shorts and my breath caught in my throat.

I bit my lip to stop myself from smiling. Carlos placed his other hand on my neck, his thumb grazing my cheek. He leant down slowly, but my stomach was fizzling with anticipation and I closed the gap between out mouths.

He pushed me gently against the wall. I winced as a bobby pin in my hair poked into my scalp but I ignored it, not wanting to ruin the moment. I wrapped my arms around his neck and pulled away from him, neglecting to hide my wide grin.

"Bella, would you like to go out with me tomorrow night?"

"Yes." I didn't skip a beat. I'd been waiting for this question my whole life. There was no other answer.