Never X Stop X Running

A/N: Thank you for reading this book, it means a lot for me!

Hunter X Hunter does not belong to me! I have just added a new character to the plot, and made a few changes. I'm watching the anime along with writing this so there might be a lot of plot holes but I hope you enjoy! This would also not follow 100% of the plot :)

6 years ago
"Tell me more, mother." Cain's childlike glistened, "About the outside, the sun, plants and other people!"

Xylene sighed, then pulled the covers over her pestering son, "There will be more tomorrow. Now, wouldn't it be boring if I told you the whole story every night on repeat?" Cain pouted, his pursuits of extra information from his parents had always ended up in failure. "I'll tell you about my family in the Kurta Clan tomorrow, I promise." Xylene always had a way with her curiosity-bugged children, especially the troublesome Cain. With her many years of parenting, she had acquired many tricks and loopholes to keep her children on their feet. Smiling, she switched off his small lamp and shut the door behind her as she heard the soft snores of the blond puff of hair.

Cain was indeed leaning towards the more difficult to handle types of children, but maybe that's why Xylene had harboured a favour for him. Cain was the 3rd in 6 children, making him the irritable middle child. He was going to turn twelve at the end of January, though nobody gets presents in the Reesvalt family, they would typically get showered with affection as it was a hazard for any member to step out.

Nobody knows why the family had to undertake such a sudden and long lockdown, except for the father, Zeke Reesvalt, who said that there were people after their priceless golden eyes. Every member of the Reesvalt bloodline has eyes of the most beautiful shade of gold that would turn scarlet when they feel an emotion to a powerful extent, as they were descendants of the exiles from the Kurta Clan.

BANG!

Zylene looked up from her seat in the main room, and to her surprise, stood a gang of about twelve people, all seemingly unarmed. The intruders were oozing with intent, power, something Zylene had lacked. "Your orders, boss." A muscular male shouted at their leader, who continued to stare at the frozen woman.

"Go utterly crazy."

Cain opened his eyes slowly, before hearing a shrill scream that could only have come from his mother. He panicked, dashing towards where the sound had came from; the main room.

"P-please, leave my children, just take me." Zylene begged the anonymous perpetrator, who held out a knife towards her head. What shocked Cain to the point of gagging was that instead of the calming golden eyes that his mother had, they were replaced with gouged out bloody holes. He hurled whatever his last meal was on the once pristine floor. I need to find father! But before anything could be done, the shrieks of his siblings chorused and echoed in the mansion.

They had found his siblings.

Cain sat in a fetal position, hiding in a small corner under the stairs where it was always too dark for anything to be seen. He soon saw his father, who was also missing his eyes, being dragged by two tall and burly men into the main room, where he and his mother were.

"T-the Phantom Troupe huh." He whipped his head around to find his tied up and seriously injured mother, tears gathered in his eyes as his small body lurched, before whimpering out to his mother. Zylene's face contorted to one of shock. "Thank goodness you're safe... run. Run like the wind Cain, faster than any danger, stay alive and live up to the Reesvalt name." She smiled, Cain wanted to jump onto to her and let her tell him that everything had been a bad dream. He found himself being enveloped in a misty blue shroud as he watched his mother take her very last breath, before passing away.

"Boss! There's still one more of the golden-eyed bastards around the house!" A man pointed at the spot where Cain sat, and slowly approached him, exuding a pressuring killing intent that could make a flock of birds drop dead.

Cain just got up and ran. He ran faster than his skinny legs could carry. Maybe it was the fear that kept him going, or that he had actually improved from the intense training his father had put him through, he knew nothing back then.

I'll avenge you one day. I promise. I will find the Phantom Troupe, and they will pay.

It was then where the feeling got stronger.

The desire for power.