six

Furqaan was helpless. He was at the mercy of the fleeting moments when he could catch a glimpse of his wife. A wife who had been discharged a week ago from the hospital. A wife who was occupying a bedroom different than his. A wife who had been avoiding his presence like the plague. A wife who was mourning the loss of their baby alone.

There was no one to blame but him. Rayyan Bhai and his baba had castigated him for his despicable behavior. They let him know exactly what they thought without softening the blow. His baba even gave him an ultimatum.

They wanted to marry her off to someone else. Someone who was man enough to accept her as his in front of the world. Someone who didn't abscond from the country and cast aside his newly wedded wife.

Over his dead body! Aamaal was his wife. His baby girl. He would be damned if he let them take her away. He knew he had made mistakes but he was back and ready to claim her. Ready to consume her.

He finally had a chance to talk with her this afternoon. Her bevy of bodyguards had slackend their tight shift. The strictest and hands down cutest were Eshal and Bakhtiyaar.

The two of them guarded their Aamaal 'aachi with utmost sincerity. Their wooden swords and water guns were the arsenal employed at the task.

Musa just gave him disdainful looks. That boy was too wise for his age.
The kids didn't understand much but they knew that their chachi was hurt because he wasn't there when she got a boo boo!

He entered the guest bedroom and found her sitting in the balcony, staring out at nothing. She looked so weak but still so beautiful.

Furqaan couldn't help but tear up at the state of his little one.Oh my sweet baby girl!
Her back tensed up as if sensing his presence in the room. She didn't turn around but sat up straighter, giving him all her attention.

Furqaan approached her with measured steps, lest she reject his advances. Today he wanted to own her, wanted her to stake her claim on him. He wanted them to assuage the anguish of their bereavement together.

Before he could even speak a word, she began in her soft and timid voice.

"Mujhe talaq de dein. Main jaanti hu ki ye Nikaah aapki razamandi se nahi hua tha."

"Aamaal...." She raised her palm and stopped him from saying anything.

"Mein apni Haweli wapas jaana chahti hu. Meri wajah se aap apne ghar se door na rahe. Phupho bohot yaad karti hai aapko. Sab karte hai."

He gingerly kneeled down in front of her and held her hands in his. He sensed a little victory in her lack of dissent.
"Aur tum? Tum nahi karti? Meri itni bhi importance nahi hai tumhare zindagi me?"
He asked her in a choked up voice.

She broke down in sobs. This was too much for her weakened heart.
"Kiss haq se karu? Aap toh mujhe apni biwi bhi nahi samajhte hai. Mujhse ab ye berukhi aur bardaasht nahi hoti. Mujhe azaad kardein iss rishtey se. Mujhe talaa..."

She couldn't complete her sentence. Setting a punishing pace, he was kissing her furiously. He squeezed her to himself; as much as his position on the floor allowed him to. He held her face in his hands and looked her in the eyes.

"Aaj keh diya hai. Aainda se ye baat main tumse na sunu. Ye khayal bhi apne damaagh se nikal dena ki main tumhe chod dunga. Na iss zindagi me aur na kisi aur. Tum meri ho. Meri biwi."

Aamaal couldn't comprehend the turn in events. Only last week he was happily avoiding her and now he was laying a claim on her. She needed answers before beginning to dream of a life with him again.

"Aap mujhe chod kar kyu chale gaye? Kya aapko mera saath manzur nahi? Aap ne vaada kiya tha aur phir aap mukar gaye."

Laying his head in her lap he hugged her waist tight.
"I'm sorry meri jaan. Mujhe laga tumhe shayad iss samjhaute ke nikaah se ghutan hogi." He looked up in her tear laden eyes.

"You are so young. You have dreams. You would have been in love. Main in sab ke beech nahi aana chahta tha. Main tum par bojh nahi banna chahta tha." 
She began running her fingers in his mass of curls.

"Aap bohot bure hai. Mujhe itna rulaya aapne.
Aap se nikah karne ke baad aap hi mera khwaab ho. Aap hi meri mohabbat. Aap se door rehne ka main ilm bhi nahi kar sakti hu. Aur aapne kitne asaani se mujhe yaha tanha chod diya. Aap uss raat bhi nahi the jis din humne humara bachha khoya." She began beating on his chest and complained like a wife.

"Sab meri galti hai. Meri wajah se tumhe itna dard hua. Meri wajah se humari guriya humare saath nahi hai. I'm so sorry. Mujhe maaf kardo meri jaan."

He got up and picked her in his arms and set her down on his lap. She snuggled into his chest and breathed him in. This scent was her assurance. Her protection. Her blessing. Her home.

"Maaf kiya. Par ek shart par. Aap phir kabhi mujhe chod kar nahi jayenge. Aur aap apne aap ko ilzaam nahi denge. Jo hua usme kisi ki koi galti nahi thi. Na meri aur na aapki. Jo hua wo sab Allah ki Marzi hai."  Saying that she kissed his chest where his heart lay.

"Vaada. Ab kabhi nahi jaunga tumhe akele chod kar. Hum puri duniya saath dekhenge."
He tightened his arms around her.

"Aur abhi hum bacho ka plan nahi karenge. Pehle tum apni graduation complete karogi. Main tumhe har do mahine vacation par le jaunga. Tum apna har khwaab pura karogi. I promise."

"Inn sab ki koi zarurat nahi hai. Aap sirf mere saath rahiye humesha. Aap hi meri zindagi ho. Sirf aap." She leaned up and pecked his lips.

Muntazar. He was eagerly awaited.
He was a wanderer. A wayfarer. He finally found his destination. He finally arrived home.