Chapter 11

The drive to Bellhound railway was fast, Michael had made calls to Sarah on the way and Chioma was filling the guns with bullets. She had kept a small knife hidden in her trousers earlier, for emergency purpose. Michael stopped the car, few metres away from the station.

The sky was getting dark now, not due to the time, but the rain which scent one could already smell in the air. To the right cows were grazing on fresh green grass, not paying attention to the two detectives who were passing by.

"So, do we go with plan A or B?" Chioma asked as they walked towards the three story uncompleted building, which looked abandoned.

"What's Plan A?" Michael asked not remembering them making a plan.

"We go in without a plan."

"And B?"

"We stay here and make plan C which should be our plan." Michael looked at her and she shrugged.

"Well, how about we go throu-" Michael started but Chioma stopped him.

"No, 'we' have to go separate ways. I go through the front opening and you find another way in through the back." Michael kept quiet for a moment, then nodded. They walked further to the building, passing through the small opening, in the poor excuse for a gate.

They walked quietly to the building, being careful to avoid being seen by the people they suspect to be inside. They finally reached where they should go separate ways. She nodded her head at him and turned to walk away, but he held her by her elbows bringing her a bit closer to him.

"I want you to be alive by nightfall," He said.

"What about tomorrow?" She gave a small smile.

"You know what I mean," He said caressing her cheeks, Chioma nodded and step back from his touch.

"I want to see you by nightfall too." And we that she walked away, Michael watched her till she entered the building, then walked further to the back.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chioma walked into the dark building quietly, she was being careful not to create any noise and call attention. The heavy wind whirled outside and against the old building, making the few windows there to rattle against it frame. A huge black rat squeaked at the sight of Chioma and hurried away to a darker side of the room. Chioma took a deep breathe and proceeded, her eyes adjusting to the dark room to see clearly.

There wasn't really anything on the down floor, just bins everywhere, the old building was already infested with rats and spiders and other creepy crawlers. There was an odd stench in the air, Chioma shuddered at the thoughts of her matching someone's feaces.

Suddenly, she heard the faint sound footsteps approaching. Quickly, her eyes scanned round the room, looking for a place to hide. There wasn't a single hiding place, except under the stairways, without thinking twice, she tiptoes there quickly, crouched low and fitted her body in there, the odd stench she had smelt earlier was heavier there.

Oh lord! Who will drop shit under staircase?!

Ancient cobwebs hugged her face, she pushed them away with her fingers and tried her best not to think of the insects that may be living there and may be angry at the unwanted visitor in their space.

The footsteps got closer till it was just above her. She heard the sound of feets scratching against the floor and then a thud above her which caused sand to fall before from the roof of the stairs, the person had sat down on the wooden stairs.

Chioma heard a sigh, the voice was that of a woman, the flicking sound of a lighter was what she heard next, seconds later was the stench of a ciger. Chioma couldn't bare the feaces and the ciger stench, she had to do something, but she knew she couldn't attract attention, till she has done what she needed to do.