Chapter Ten

After the photographer took photos of us outside the venue, she followed us back inside for dinner. We made our way to the table, and Owen introduced me to my new in-laws.

"This is my mom, Mary, and my dad, Leon," he said. "They already know you, of course."

Elijah bumped our parents down so he could sit next to me, citing that he was my favorite. So we introduced him to Owen's parents, then took our seats.

"What does it feel like?" Elijah asked, drawing my attention to him. He was beaming with excitement.

"It feels... weird. Right now, nothing feels different, besides that we're in a big group of people. I spent the last two nights at his house, so we haven't really been apart for awhile." I felt Owen's hand moving across my thigh. I turned and realized he was blindly feeling for my hand. When I put my hand in his, his body visibly relaxed. I turned back to Elijah when he started speaking again.

"This whole day has been so beautiful," he said. "I hope I'm able to do something like this for Octavia."

I smiled reassuringly at him. "Whatever you do will be beautiful. These feelings I have for him are so strong. He's so sweet and caring. It's like it just feels right. Everything feels easy with him. Did Dad tell you he wants us to move to Chicago?"

"He and I have talked about that. He has some doctor's appointments he's worried about, so he wants you to be close to me in case something happens."

"What? Why is he worried? He didn't tell me anything about that." How was it that I lived in the same house as the man and had no idea what my brother who lived almost two hours away was talking about?

"He's just having some troubles, Sis. I wouldn't put too much emphasis on it. He'll tell us if he hears something important."

"Well, if something happens to him, what about Mom?"

He shrugged. "Do you really think she would survive long without him? It might be morbid, but they've been together for almost thirty years. If Dad passes away, Mom won't be far behind. Let's not talk about this right now, please. It's your wedding day!"

"And the first I'm hearing of all this when I still live in their house!"

"Don't start," he demanded, with that look in his eyes that made me want to choke him.

"Just because Dad let's you run the big city," I said mockingly, "doesn't mean you're the boss of me."

"I may be the boss of your husband in a year's time. I'll be the boss of you then."

I squinted at him. "I'll always be able to kick your ass."

He chuckled, pushing my shoulder. "You couldn't fight your way out of a wet paper bag. Did you make it?" He asked, switching gears in his head without warning.

"What are you talking about now?"

"Are you waiting? Until tonight?"

"Yeah. I made it. Although, the way he's been looking at me since the ceremony, I'm not sure we'll make it all the way home," I joked.

Elijah laughed and pointed at the cake across the room. "Are you going to smash it in his face?"

"I think I have to. I can't wait to see your wedding day."

He sighed, looking down at the table. "Four more years. Sometimes I wish things were different, ya know? I'll be twenty-six and she'll be just becoming an adult. It just seems wrong. I'm worried I'll deprive her of something. She won't experience being single as an adult. The dating world-"

"We didn't either. We'll be okay. Mom and Dad never dated-"

"Mom and Dad are closer to a long-term business partnership than a dreamy romance."

"Still, they never dated anyone else."

He rolled his eyes. "There are some things we'll never know about their relationship."

"Either way, Little Ava will be happy. You will be happy. You aren't going to deprive her of anything. You two are going to have a long, wonderful life full of joy and happiness. What have you always said?"

"We're going to rule the world together. Yeah, yeah. Not if she hates me for stealing her life from her."

"You seem down in the dumps, Bubby. You should call me sometimes, when the big city gets lonely. I'm here for you, ya know?"

He nodded, and Owen squeezed my hand so I turned to him.

"We're going to eat, then we can dance and do cake," he whispered, leaning closer to me. The feel of his breath against my neck made my heart beat faster.

~

After we had our first dance, I danced with my dad, and Owen danced with his mom. Then we cut the cake, and smashed it into each other's faces, giggling the entire time. After the cake, things starts to quiet down so I pulled Elijah and Owen into a conversation together, trying to see how they interacted- two of the most important men in my life.

"How've you been since high school?" Eliajh asked Owen.

"I'm good. I've been working on construction sites for a few years, now. My parents weren't sure about an arranged marriage, so they encouraged me to date for a little while. Things just never worked out, one way or another. Then, the idea of an arranged marriage came up again. And I just married your sister, so I'd say I'm doing pretty well," Owen answered, smiling brightly at Elijah and I.

"Hell yeah. Just don't forget if you hurt her, I'll kill you and no one will ever notice you're gone."

I gasped a little at Elijah's brusqueness, but I had to have known he would say something.

"I know you would," Owen answered, unwavering. "I'm not going to hurt her, but not because I'm afraid of you. I think she deserves better."

"So, are you going to come run my city with me?" I could never get used to the way my brother's voice sounded when he spoke to other people, versus when he talked to me. He sounded so much tougher with everyone else.

"We've been talking about it, but haven't made a decision yet. We'll have to plan and take a honeymoon first."

My mouth dropped open. We hadn't even discussed a honeymoon. I had completely forgotten! "Where are we going to go?"

"We'll talk about it later. You look really tired, darling. We should go home," Owen said in a sweet voice.

I smirked. "I'll let you take me home, I guess." I stood and hugged Elijah, telling him, "When you start to think sad shit, call me. Don't let it eat you up." I hugged my parents, and Owen's parents as they welcomed me to the family. We told everyone goodnight, and got in the car.