an uphill battle

Lily arrived to the meet meting point in work-out clothes, as instructed. She wore bright-pink sneakers, a white tank top, and black shorts. She wanted to look clean, like a New Yorker who dresses to work out but really just goes to brunch. For extra chic points, Maria, her roommate, braided her hair and tied it back into a high-ponytail. 

Please, let these days of dance have been enough for me to get in shape

Diego saw her approaching on the path and waved. The plan was working. Earlier that morning, they agreed to arrive separately. To show that Lily was independent, and didn't need hand-holding through the grounds. 

"Just take the lake-view path until it curls as round the lake. You'll see us," he said. They kissed until Lily felt brave enough to leave him. 

Now, seeing him with five other men, she wished she had kissed him a few more times. The Moody relatives came into view. All of them were tall and striking, with tufts of dark hair. This was not a family that believes in balding, clearly. Diego had the tannest skin, but they all looked like they spent half of the year outdoors. Everyone was decked out in athletic clothing, too. As she approaches, she reminded herself not to get distracted by his shorts. Don't even look, Lily. Do not even look

She was so busy thinking of not looking at his shorts that her face was dazed by the time she arrives. She remembered to wave too late, so that she was waving in front of their faces. 

It's all right. These were minor stumbles. She could recover. "Hi," she said, in a tone that's more, It's great to meet you, not I've been in bed for two days straight with Diego, and am doing this only so you'll leave us alone, thank you. "I'm Lily." 

The men put out their hands to shake hers, and she remembers that is a thing people do. What is it about this entire plan that makes Lily forget how to be a person? They were grading her on her every move. She was trying to fail before they can get to the hard stuff—like who she is, and what she wants her life to become. 

They introduced themselves. Moses, Diego's dad. His brother, Miles. Their first-cousins, Dexter and John. "And Diego," Moses said, pointing at his son. "But you knew that already." They all laugh as if this is the funniest joke in the world. 

"Now, Lily. When Diego told us about you, we were a bit shocked."

"No, surprised," Miles said, jutting in. "It's just—well, he seemed super-single, our Diego. Is that what the kids say, nowadays? Super single?" 

"No," Diego said. "I was just single. After everything that happened."

"Right, no need to bullet point it," Moses said. He had a way of shutting his son up. Diego nearly blushed. He looked at the ground. "We were thrilled to hear her finally started thinking with longevity in mind."

Lily smiled vaguely, the only way a person could when her boyfriend's father implied she was a vessel for continuing the family name. 

"He's probably told you as much as he knows about this process. He doesn't know much, which is part of the point. Think of this as...summer camp for your relationship. And if it makes you feel any better, we've all been through it," he says. "We all lived to tell the tales." 

"And your wives?" Lily asked. "Did they?" 

John and Dexter looked at each other and laugh. Actually, everyone laughed except for Moses, who cracks a smile, but and probably docks a few points for interruption. "We'll get to talk more later. You can hear all about our wives. But instead of an ice-breaker. We thought we'd do a...back, arm, and leg-breaker, of sorts. Tell me, Lily, are you afraid of heights?"