a rapid fire round

If things were fair, there would've been a picnic waiting at the top on the mountain. The red blanket immediately visible, covered with a bounty of fresh food. A still-hot baked baguette. At least five cheese varieties, hard and soft and smelly, too. Fruit punch gatorade. Red wine. Dark chocolate. Double stuffed oreos. 

And if things were as Lily wanted them, she'd eat it all off Diego. 

Instead, after that hike imported from one of Hell's more creative demons, Moses announced that they were going for a stroll. Lily came extremely, dangerously close to yelping with frustration. Then Diego swooped in, and gave Lily a tiny pat on the butt. He saw her. So long as he saw her, she could keep going. 

So Lily managed to compose her features and smile. "Let's do it!" she said, with the enthusiasm of Dora at the start of a new voyage. 

"It's just over to the pond. Down a-here," Moses said, with similar enthusiasm. He spoke like he was the stern host of a nature documentary from the '40s. Or a headmaster of a private all-boys boarding school. He'd sniff out her softness, and tell her it was a liability in the wild. 

Thankfully, there wasn't an incline. The pond was idyllic,  like a Monet painting that walked out of the frame. Literally, lilypads. A dragonfly landed on Diego. She took that as a sign of his good character. If animals like a man, that means he's a good one—right? 

Moses led them into a wooden structure that jutted out onto the pond, similar to the one where she and Diego had finally gotten together. Was it only a few days ago? And now, she was surrounded by his bearded genepool? 

Yes, yes it was. 

Lily was thrilled to see there was food arranged around a little table in the middle of the gazebo. "The kitchen comes to us," Moses said. "That's one of the perks of being a Moody." 

"One of the many," John said. At least she thought it was John. It could've been one of the others. They all looked so burly. Like they were built to lead expeditions through the woods in winter, and tell all the deer tracks by their names. Note to self: Memorize Diego's relatives names. 

There were mounds of food—chocolate and cheese and bread, and other things—but Lily was not going to be the first to eat it. She knew all of her moves were being monitored. Once the men piled their plates, she arranged some slices of fruit and cold cuts on her plate. It was exactly what she was in the mood for. She might have to lie later, but she wouldn't start now. 

John started teasing Diego about the way his hair got mussed up on the crevice. "Looks like the wind gave you a hug, or something," he said, laughing. He seemed to forget they were in the middle of a solemn Event, because Moses gave him a sharp look. 

"So, Lily. Tell us about yourself," Moses said. She unfortunately was eating a piece of brie, just then, and didn't want her mouth to stick together. Wait a few seconds. Swallow. Talk. 

"Well. I'm Lily," she began. Great start. No lies, yet. "And I actually work here, now. So thanks for that." 

Diego made eye contact with her, as if to say: Keep going! They had rehearsed this question. "I just graduated from Columbia with a degree in anthropology and econ," she said, and that perked up Moses's ears. 

"Columbia," he repeated. 

She nodded, not adding that she had a Columbia degree and no idea what she was going to do with it, because directionless was only an attractive quality among other whimsical people. He was not the type. He had a built-in compass, or so it seemed. 

"Yes. I met your son, I mean, Diego, because he was my tango instructor." 

Both of Diego's cousins snickered. Tango. "See, Moses. His dancing dreams were good for something," Dexter said. "I mean, it's not Dancing With the Stars. But it's something."