Chapter 11; Holy Knight, Hodrick

The Unkindled made mad dashes on the hollows of the Undead Settlement, cutting down those that became object of his path. It was all done gracefully swift, blood spluttered about as bodies collapsed to the ground, leaving trails of already-dead corpse to the great courtyard he had fought the Curse-Rotten Greatwood. A massive beast that stood taller and wider than the manor and builds around it. 

Having reached the edge of the pathway, down below was the Pit of Hollows. The clanging against two swords echoed from the far deep. With gentle ease, he made a drop to the underground below the above. With a snap, he equipped the Silvercat Ring, gifted by none other than the Knight of the Sunless Realm; Sirris. 

"Urgh!" with a vigorous bash with the use of his shield, Hodrick had Sirris at the receiving end of his sword. In a vulnerable position, Sirris held her arms in horizontal way as if it'd do much to halt the incoming sword of her Granddad. The scratching of another steeled sword grease upon each other, sparking tiny red flames. With immediate action, the Unkindled took the opportunity of a surprised Holy Knight Hodrick.

The Undead hastily grabbed hold of Sirris's arm as he jumped further back from the Mound Maker. In a safe distance, Sirris recalled back her composed self as she stood back to her feet. 'Damn.' The Unkindled felt the slight stinging pain given by Aldrich. Yes, he had recovered but in some sense it still lingered about. Especially since, the Lord of Cinder had use Gwyndolin's power. A truly devastating power to uphold. 

It was just briefly. But the sight of a half-eaten Gwyndolin was among the rest of the devoured. How truly fortunate it was, that Lady Yorshka had not seen such horrible sight, it would've broken her. "Unkindl-" "Move!" 

In such quick seconds, the Holy Knight had covered the grounds that the Unkindled had took. "Ah, so it is you. How lovely to see a familiar face." Confusion struck Sirris as she stood behind the Ashen One as the two undead conversed with their blades in a deadlock. "Hodrick." he simply mentioned the name in a mixture of greetings and pleasantries. 

Rudely interrupting, Sirris came from the side with her rather large thrusting estoc sword, infused with the darkmoon blade. But without luck, Hodrick merely used his shield to drove away the piercing sword. 

With a quick evasive dodge, the mad mound-maker gave a rather specious laugh. 'Truly, he has gone mad and such hollowed.' That was the very thought that crossed Sirris. All the while, indeed the mad holy knight of a hollow found the battle amusing to the very core. "Now now, there's space for everyone in the Pit of Hollows.. little Sirris." 

Blinded by rage, the knight of the Sunless Realm strove forward with the tip of her estoc directed at her loving granddad. He stood idly, and in a memory's flash, it removed the dirty stench on the hollow's armor. Overall, his entire appearance seemed to revert back to her once loving granddad. The two images of past, and current, converged. "Granddad?" Her expression softened.

A sudden and unexpected rumbling shook the ground, and with it was accompanied by a black fire that traveled on the ground as it went for Hodrick. When coming back to the cold darkened reality, Sirris consciousness returned and with it was a sight of yet another attempted swing of the sword intent to kill her. Fortunately, with the assist by a fair Unkindle, he avoided to make contact of such pyromancy and in turn saved Sirris twice in this important battle of hers. She had to see this through. She had to. She promised grandmother she would.

The two opposing side, came to a halt. With this, the Ashen One took the opportunity to converse with the dame. "Sirris, this is a battle. Life, or death. Peace, or pandemonium." 

"This is thy battle, and I have no grounds of such to meddle with thy own affairs. Decide how thee would approach thou conquest." He took a glance over the eagerly insane man which was imitated by her own. "I dare not wish to intervene truly, in your crucial-essence of matter. However much, my blade and I shall assist." 

Sirris; Knight of the Sunless Realm, inhaled. Her eyes closed. Only opening them with sheer determination and will that burns brightly at the hollow. 'I shall end this with my own blade, and to my own accord.' 

Tiny steps the granddad and granddaughter took towards each, with an assist by the woman's side. And so, the battle began. In moments where such she should have been ended, blade of the Unkindled came forth. In nick of time, she was rescued time and time again. All while pressuring the fight on Hodrick.

Struck by a mighty blow she staggered, but fortunately over time with the help of the Unkindled, holy knight Hodrick had assumed for him to swift in for the save. However, he underestimated how the two had been great pairs and well coordinated, that he failed to grasp the concept that they had set up a faint. 

The pierce of her thrusting sword strive forward the flesh of the man who had took great care of her. "Ah, dear Sirris..." with his final breath used, his lifeless body became limp as it began to fall from its stance. The corpse of her loving granddad fell to the warmth-ful embrace of his granddaughter as she caught him. "Granddad.." 

The Undead knew what her expression must've been. For he had seen it, so much, it was becoming to be norm. What proves his simple guess, were a very perceptible notice of her shaking shoulders, as her arms wrapped tighter on the lifeless body of her granddad.  

A/N - Credit of fan art of Holy Knight Hodrick, Denis Chaykowskiy. 

" Black Serpent - 

Pyromancy discovered from the Abyss by High Lord Wolnir that inspired the black arts of the grave wardens.

Releases undulating black flames that trace the ground.

Be it sorcery or pyromancy, all techniques that infringe on humanity lead to the same place. That is to say, they all seek a will of their own. "