ch. 5 || Negotiation

November 4th

November 4th. 3 : 00 am.

The Hokage Monument was by far the best spot to watch all the chaos unfold.

Flames danced over the village, lighting up the early morning sky like lanterns in a festival; buildings collapsed and faded into ashes; and bodies dropped to the ground as if they were mere flies. It was a chaotic sight to behold, but  what Obito loved the most, were the screams.

He hadn't heard screams of anguish like that since...the Third War, he believed? (Back then all he wanted was for the screams to stop and for the dying to comply because seeing his enemies in pain only made him feel guilty and ashamed and scared of how karma would repay him–)

(This time it was different. So wonderfully different.)

He heard a snap and a shrill scream nearby and his eyes lit up; he listened to the wails and it made him feel good inside; he heard someone's loud cries before they were no more and he laughed.

People were dying in Konoha and to him it was nothing more than a joke.

"It wasn't meant to be like this," Fugaku had wrote to him in one of the letters exchanged between the two. They were just going to attack the corrupt shinobi from jounin up, leaving the innocent and purging the government. It was supposed to be a small war, with little involvement with civilians and children...it wasn't supposed to be this destructive.

Until Konoha retaliated by attacking Uchiha civilians–innocent men, women and children, who were not involved in Shinobi politics and who didn't deserve to die.

Obito didn't know what Konoha was thinking when they planned that massacre. Did they think the Uchiha would be warned, and they'd raise the white flag in surrender? Did they think they would be too sad to go on?

Did Konoha truly believe that angering the Uchiha was actually a good idea?

It wasn't. Because now the Uchiha weren't holding back. They were raiding houses, slaughtering families, burning down buildings, reducing enemy shinobi to nothing in this sea of blood, ash and flames.

All because Konoha made a wrong move.

That's what made it so funny. The fact that the bloodshed could've been easily avoided if the Konohan government wasn't so damn stupid.

A ripple in his chakra diverted his attention to what was lurking behind, and Obito straightened as the chakra moved close.

"Fugaku san."

Fugaku tipped his head slightly in acknowledgement, keeping his eyes on the scene below. "You are finally here."

"Forgive me for being so late." Obito drawled, eyes crinkling under his mask as he smirked. "But it seems like your forces already have things covered."