Chapter IX

~Monday 30th May 2016~

"Oh, fuck off," River grunted under his breath as he slumped down the stairs, barely able to see straight two feet ahead of him, hoping he didn't tumble down them. There were more than enough to fall down and some form of concussion would only make him feel a thousand times worse. Why did people have to come over on that day? Who the fuck even turned up in the middle of the day, knowing River's parents were away for the week and assuming he would be at school?

He thought about ignoring the knocking, even did so for a few moments, merely laying in his bed staring up at the ceiling, yet it didn't stop. Whoever it was, wasn't relenting, and wasn't just going to walk away even if River did ignore them. The knocking was only adding to the drilling that felt as though it was splitting through his skull, he couldn't take it anymore. All he had to do was snap at whoever it was, and they would leave him alone. He could rest in peace. Until he had to throw up again that was.

"What?" River practically snarled as he swung open the door, needing a moment for his eyes to focus in the sudden change of light. Instantly, he regretted his choice of reaction. Shock would have been more appropriate.

"Oh, baby boy, you look terrible," Gray stepped forward into the house, forcing River to stumble back whilst the man closed the door. He cupped the boy's cheek, tilting his head from side to side whilst he examined him, actually worsening the dizziness clouding River's mind.

"Wow, you really know how to make a boy swoon," River murmured sarcastically, resting his own hand atop Gray's, turning his head away, "you'll get sick, what are you doing here?"

"I was video calling Jensen and he mentioned you had been sent home. What happened?" Gray stepped even closer, and River actually held his breath for a brief second, not wanting to worsen his condition by feeling any guilt over getting the man sick. That wasn't fair. He shouldn't even be there anyway, people would talk if the neighbours had seen anything. Then again, Gray had clearly thought of that, hence why he had entered River's house before drawing close to him. He wasn't just a pretty face.

"I'm sick," Gray didn't seem satisfied by River's answer, waiting patiently until the boy continued, "I threw up a few times and, I don't know, maybe it's the flu or something. Either way, you shouldn't be here, I don't want to give you anything," River tried to step back, tried to distance himself from Gray, but the man just matched every move with one of his own. He pressed a kiss to the corner of River's mouth, causing the boy's skin to heat up more than it already was.

"I think you have a temperature," Gray mused, looking focused as he placed the back of his hand to the boy's forehead. River was a little startled, if he was honest. He wasn't used to someone caring so much, checking in on him so intensely. It wasn't like his parents just left him to fend for himself, when he was younger, he had a vague recollection of his mother watching over him whilst he was ill, but it wasn't more than that. She didn't sit with him in his room, he would have to move into the living room or den or even lay in her office if he wanted to spend time with her. He had to make the effort, it was bizarre to have the situation in reverse.

"Not that I'm not happy you're here, Gray, but I can't have sex right now. I'm too tired," River rested a hand on Gray's chest in a feeble attempt to prevent the man moving any closer, not that it was of any use. He smiled warmly, slipping his hand down from River's cheek to the nape of his neck, shaking his head briefly.

"I'm not here for sex, Riv, I'm here to take care of you. No one sick should be home alone, I want to look after you. You deserve a little pampering," River's brow furrowed, surely he hadn't heard that right, "I know your parents aren't going to be here all week, and I told my PA, Cassandra, that I was coming down with something. No one will look for me here for a few days, we're safe together here," River suppressed the roll of his eyes, of course Gray had a personal assistant. River presumed she would be blonde, busty and probably looking like a supermodel. He couldn't help the jealousy flaring within him, even though he knew no woman was Gray's type, he didn't swing that way and, yet, it was still infuriating to think of him alone with Cassandra.