He Reigns on the Mountain - Chapter 7

A/N - Don't forget to check out the video with this chapter. =========> ========================================================================

Luke 11: 8-13   -  “Because of his persistence he will get up and give him as much as he needs. So I say to you, ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you. For everyone who asks, receives; and he who seeks, finds; and to him who knocks, it will be opened. Now suppose one of you fathers is asked by his son for a fish; he will not give him a snake instead of a fish, will he? Or if he is asked for an egg, he will not give him a scorpion, will he? If you then, being evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to those who ask Him?" 

Chapter 7

Four hours later, Jamie woke to the sound of laughing. A lot of laughing. He climbed out of bed, went to the bathroom and threw water on his face. He could use about another three days of sleep. But, he needed to check on Jess. He softly knocked on Jess’ door, but did not hear anything, he slowly opened the door and saw Jess’ bed was made and she was not in there. He turned to go downstairs and heard her laughing. At first it put a smile on his face. Then he remembered his aunts and wondered what they could be telling her?

He stood in the doorway for a moment leaning up against the door frame listening. Jess was sitting at the table with his aunts drinking coffee and eating breakfast. Jamie could tell his aunts had pulled out a big spread of biscuits, sausage gravy, eggs, fried potatoes, grits, stewed tomatoes and more.

“No matter the amount of canned tomatoes his mama used, there was a stink about him for a good six months.” Aunt Coot was saying. Everyone was laughing.

Jess looked up and the twinkle in her eye caught the twinkle in Jamie’s eye and Jess leaned back and laughed so hard that Jamie could not hold back anymore and he began laughing as too. “Now, stop telling my secrets.” He said to his aunts. “A man’s gotta have a few.” Jess winced and reached up and gingerly touched her face where she had been hit the night before.

“After two hours, you ain’t got many left Jamie.” Aunt Dumpy said with a wink. “But don’t worry, some of your secrets are still safe.”

He walked towards his aunts and sat down in the empty chair at the table. Aunt Louise handed him a plate of food and poured him a cup of coffee. Jamie laughed, “Ya’ll don’t know ALL my secrets! I just let you think you do!” Jess was sitting back giggling, enjoying seeing this relationship between Jamie and his beloved aunts. “What are you laughing at?” He said looking at Jess. “Just because they said they were my secrets, doesn’t mean they know everything.”

Jess held up her hands in surrender. “I never said I did. I have no problem with secrets, but some of the stories were funny.” She leaned in to the table and looked right at Jamie, “Did you really set an outhouse on fire? With your uncle in it?” She began to giggle again.

“Guilty. But, I did not know the grass was that dry and would spread like that. And he is OK, not even a scratch.” Jamie said trying to justify his childhood mistake.

“And you fell asleep on your aunt’s lap, and you...”

“YES!! Gee whiz, can’t a kid have an accident? I was three and I had a small bladder!!” Jamie said glaring at his aunts. “Did you guys only tell her about my embarrassing stories?”

“Well,” Aunt Louise said, “We haven’t told her about the time you broke your leg going to the outhouse.”

“Thank you God, for indoor plumbing!” Jamie said. “If that break did one thing, it helped Mama and Daddy see that we needed indoor plumbing!” Jamie took a bite of eggs then looked at his aunts, “You know how much I love you, but don’t you need to meddle in someone else’s life right now? I think I have paid my dues.”