He Reigns on the Mountain - Chapter 12

Proverbs 11: 1-8 The LORD detests dishonest scales, but accurate weights find favor with him. When pride comes, then comes disgrace, but with humility comes wisdom. The integrity of the upright guides them, but the unfaithful are destroyed by their duplicity. Wealth is worthless in the day of wrath, but righteousness delivers from death. The righteousness of the blameless makes their paths straight, but the wicked are brought down by their own wickedness. The righteousness of the upright delivers them, but the unfaithful are trapped by evil desires. Hopes placed in mortals die with them; all the promise of their power comes to nothing. The righteous person is rescued from trouble, and it falls on the wicked instead.

Chapter 12

As soon as Jess woke up, she knew where she was. The canopy over the bed she had grown up in was draped ‘perfectly’, the room was decorated in a ‘perfect’ shade of sapphire blue and she knew any moment her mother and or father would appear in the ‘perfect’ world they created.

But, as long as Jamie was looking for her she would be OK. She knew deep in her heart that he would never stop looking for her. Her fingers went automatically to twist the ring he had placed on her finger months before. But, it wasn’t there. “NO!” She thought, or maybe she yelled it, because suddenly the door opened.

“Jessica! It is so good to see you darlin’!” Betsy Robinson said as she walked across the room to where her daughter was standing. “We were so worried.” Betsy looked like she had just stepped off the TV show and living on Wisteria Lane, many times Jess had joked with her friends that she felt like her parents were Stepford or something. Her sandy blond hair was straight and flowed down just past her shoulders. She was, of course, clothed in the latest fashions. A spring dress, with the hem just below the knee. Because, ‘No lady wears anything above the knee,’ she had heard her mother say it a million times growing up.

“Where is my ring?” Jess said harsher than she meant, but, she was really wanted it. Her mother could sense her anger.

“Here it is.” Betsy said as she opened her hand to reveal the engagement ring she had left behind last July.

“Not that one. I want the ring Jamie gave me.”

Her mother had a puzzled look on her face. “Why would you want that thing? It wasn’t even a full karat!”

“Because, unlike the person that gave me this ring, I actually love the person that gave me that ring!” Jess took a deep breath. “I want it back. It was his grandmother’s!”

“Well, I am sure your father will return it to him.” Betsy said.

“What about me? Will he return me too?” Jess said as she squinted her eyes as she looked at her mother.

Betsy laughed like any distinguished lady, Jess thought it sounded like the chimes Jamie had hanging on his porch. “No. Warren will be here soon and by Saturday, you will be married and on your honeymoon in Paris.”

This made Jess laugh, “I am not marrying Warren. I am marrying Jamie.” Then her smile widened. “And there is nothing you can do about it.” Jess crossed the room and opened the door. Outside Rick was standing guard and crossed his arms and stood in front of the now open door. When she turned back around, she felt deflated. She walked back to her mother, “How can you do this to me? How can you take me away from a life and a man that I love to bring me back here and hold me prisoner.”

“Dear, we are doing this for your own good. You are not thinking clearly. You had cold feet, something every bride has. . .”

“Cold feet? I don’t love Warren. How can you make me marry someone I don’t love?”

“Because, you will have the perfect life!”

“By whose standards? Not mine! I would not call a loveless marriage perfect. Would you? Especially now that I know what love really feels like!” Jess knew she was yelling, but she didn’t care. She wanted out of there.

“Jessica, calm down. You are going to send yourself into a panic attack. Here, take this.” Betsy said as she pulled a prescription bottle out of her pocket and handed her daughter a pill. “It will help calm you down.”

“I don’t want to be calm.” Jess said, then she saw the flashing lights outside. She ran to the window and pulled back the lace curtains. She saw a local police car and, bless him, Uncle Carl’s police car. As soon as she saw Jamie, she knew she would be OK. She banged on her window, trying to get him to look up, but he didn’t. She yelled, “JAMIE!! JAMIE!! I’m up here!!” She ran to the door and threw it open again, determined this time to get past Rick. She ran towards him and bounced off. She screamed in hopes that Jamie would hear her. Rick picked her up and put his hand over her mouth and carried her to the bed where he threw her down.

“Don’t make me hurt you!” Rick said as Jess bounced on the bed hitting her head against the headboard.

She did not notice, but when she sat up and started to speak to her mother, Betsy had slipped out of the room. She reached up and rubbed her sclap where a small knot was rising. “You did hurt me!” She got out of the bed and slowly walked to the window. She tried to open it, but it wouldn’t budge. She noticed screws in the window holding them shut. Jess stood at the window waiting. She knew what she would see. They would not let Jamie see her. As she saw Jamie, Uncle Carl and a couple of police officers leave the house, he began banging on the window and yelling. She thought for a moment that Jamie was going to turn and look up at her, but he turned to the car and they drove off, leaving her behind. She sank to the floor beating her hand on the window.

Jamie could not believe he had to leave her there. He could hear her yelling. He almost broke down the door to get to her. After spending five minutes in the room with Mr. Robinson, Jamie understood why Jess had left. He had never met a man before that was ruled by money and status rather than love and heart. Jamie hated to think it, but at one point he even wondered if Mr. Robinson had a heart. He now sat in his uncle’s car driving away from the woman he loved because her father threatened he would never see her again if he did not. Saying that, “She had finally come home and I am not going to let you and your back country ways corrupt her.” Even though Jamie had tried, it was no use. Finally his uncle stepped in and was level headed and said that they would be back tomorrow to talk when everyone calmed down.

“I still don’t understand why we had to leave?” Jamie said shaking his head and fighting the tears that were burning his throat. “She was screaming for us. Why couldn’t we just take her?”

“Son, sometimes you need to back up and look at the whole picture. There was no way he was going to let you close to her. Not just to stop you, but to stop her. Did you see her at the window?”

“No, but it took everything in me not to turn to her.”

“I am glad you didn’t. Now they don’t know that we know exactly where she is.”

“What good does that do us?”

“When we go back tonight to get her, we know exactly where to go.”

“What? How?”

“Son, I am a man of the law. I play by the rules. But, sometimes after you have played by the rules, you have to do what is right to do what needs to be done. Don’t worry, tonight she will be with you.” Jamie took a deep breath and they prepared for their trip back to the Robinson house.

Jess was still sitting on the floor by her window crying when her father came in. Charles Robinson was a man who would not negotiate. He was also not very affectionate. Never hugging his daughter. Never showing anything other than status and wealth. Watching him come in, Jess thought of the scripture from Proverbs, “Pride goes before destruction, a haughty spirit before a fall.” She didn’t realize she said it aloud until her father spoke.

“What?” Charles asked. “What did you say?”

“A scripture from Proverbs that came to my mind. Sorry, I did not realize I said it aloud.” Jess said as she wiped her eyes and refused to let her father see her cry. “You know I won’t stay here.”

“I know that is what you think.” Charles said as he stood over her. Jess stood up, not wanting to let her father know that she was scared.

“Why are you doing this to me? Do you not think that living in a loveless family my whole life that I would want to live in a loveless marriage? I don’t love Warren and I will not marry him.”

“You will do as I say! I am your father!”

Jess laughed. “You stopped being my father when I left for college. I came back because I thought you had changed. I thought maybe you valued me as a person, but will only be a possession to you. And you no longer possess me!”

“Darlin’ you will always be my daughter. And you will learn that what I am doing is best for you.” Charles walked to her closet, pulled out a dress threw it on the bed, “Now get dressed and behave at dinner. Warren will be here. He has been so worried about you.” With that Charles turned and left.

Jess walked to her make-up table and knew exactly what she was looking for. Moments later, she was at the window with the fingernail file working on the screws. If she could get them loose she would risk the drop to the ground three stories below. When the screws were out, she slid open the window. She couldn’t leave now. They would be looking for her in moments. But, tonight, as everyone slept, she could leave. Or at least die trying. No, she could not do that to Jamie, he had lost Annie. No matter what, she would have to stay safe and find him.

Dinner was horrid. Of course Warren was there. Kissing up to Charles and talking about business, as usual. The salad came, and Jess did not touch anything. She moved the food around on the plate, but she refused to eat. Not because she was not hungry. She was starving. But, she was afraid her father had slipped something into the food to make her sleep or become a ‘Stepford’. So, she had made up her mind not to eat or drink anything. No one noticed until the main course was served. It was hard for her to hide that she had not eaten with an entire steak on her plate.

“Aren’t you hungry dear?” Warren asked reaching over and taking her hand that laid on the table next to her plate. She pulled her hand away.

“No. Being kidnapped really ruins a person’s appetite.” Jess said with a fake smile.

“Besides, she needs to fit in her dress on Saturday, and it looks like she gained some weight while she was away.” Betsy said.

“I am not wearing that dress. I told you, I am not marrying Warren.” Then she turned to look at Warren, “Look, nothing personal, but I don’t love you. I know you don’t love me. I love someone else and I will marry him.”

Warren just gave her a small grin like he knew a secret. But, it was her father who spoke. “Like hell you will! I have not paid good money to have you throw everything away to marry some mountain man. Seriously, you should have seen him today. He looked like that guy on the paper towels, you know the big guy.”

“I stopped looking and waiting for your approval in my life a long time ago. I am an adult. You can not force me to do something. I am going to marry Jamie and you will never see me or your grandchildren.”

“Oh, we won’t be having children darling.” Warren said like he had not heard a thing she had just said. “Not unless they are adopted. Because I never intend to sleep with you.”

“What?”

“Well, that is part of the arrangement. I don’t intend to sleep with you. I have a mistress for that.”

“Then why marry me at all?”

“Oh, it is strictly business. I will be taking over your father’s company in a few years when he retires. This is a way of keeping it in the family.”

“You can have the business for all I care. I don’t want anything except for my freedom.”

“Well, you can’t have that dear.” Charles said. “Now behave.”

Jess laughed, “If you think I am not behaving now, just wait!” Jess stood to leave, “Excuse me.” And she turned and walked out of the dinning room.

Warren stood but sat back down when Charles said, “Leave her be. She will come around.”

Jess sat at her mirror brushing her hair when her mother came in to check on her. “Mother, I am going to bed. We will talk more in the morning.”

“OK. I just wanted to check on you.”

“Answer me this, did Daddy give Jamie back the ring?” Jess did not turn around, she kept brushing her hair. She did not want to betray herself in her eyes.

“Yes, I went down and told him it was a family heirloom. It was no value to us, so why wouldn’t he give it back?”

“Thank you. Goodnight.”

“Goodnight dear, see you in the morning. I think after a good night sleep, you will see things differently.”

“I am just tired and I want to rest.” Jess said as she stood up took off her robe and climbed into bed.

Uncle Carl was known to be a sweet talker. But, it didn’t hurt to be in a squad car. The security guard let him through without question. They parked the car down the long driveway and Jamie jumped the fence into the Robinson’s estate. He brought with him a rope and flashlight, and his gun that he had not told Uncle Carl about. He would only pull it out if he had to, and he prayed he would not have to. “God, please guide my steps tonight. Help me rescue Jess and keep us both safe and our escape undetected.” Moving from shadow to shadow, Jamie was silent. Years of hunting on the mountain helped him approach the house undetected. As he approached, he noticed movement on the third floor, a window opened. Make that, Jess’ window opened. He saw her throw sheets that had been tied together out of her window, but he was afraid the drop would still be to far. He ran to stand under her window and as she slid down the sheets, he said, “I’ve got you. Drop to me.” And she fell into his arms.

“Jamie,” Jess sighed and threw her arms around him. “I love you.”

“I love you too. And you are so sexy escaping like that!” Then he leaned down and kissed her quickly. “We gotta go.”

“Yeah. Hey, did Daddy give you the ring?”

“I got it. Don’t worry.”

Jamie helped her over the fence and Uncle Carl had the car there as soon as they were dropped to the ground.

Once they pulled out of the neighborhood and found a place where they would not be spotted if someone came looking, Jess told them everything. How she had been taken, being held against her will and the insistence that she would marry Warren this weekend. That drew an, “Over my dead body!” from Jamie. Jess just patted his hand as they sat in the back seat of the car together, unwilling to let the other go.

“Well,” Uncle Carl began, “I think what we should do, is go to the local police and file charges for kidnapping and file restraining orders against your parents, Warren and Rick. Let’s follow the law now.”

“Oh, Uncle, I never broke in. They could get me on trespassing on their property, but she was hanging from the window with sheets and I caught her. I never had to go into the house!”

“I believe the Lord was with the two of you on that one then!” Jess and Jamie nodded, not taking their eyes off each other. “Let’s go to the station and take care of business.”

They were about to leave the police station after filing charges when a call came through. “Miss Robinson, your father just called in a report that you had been kidnapped.” The detective said.

“I was by him. But, I am with Jamie of my own free will.” Jess said as she squeezed his hand.

“I suggest you leave quickly then, because he is heading to the station now.”

Unfortunately, they did not make it to their car before a black BMW pulled up and Mr. and Mrs. Robinson jumped out and tried to grab Jess away from Jamie who would not release her. “Leave her alone. She has made her choice.” Jamie said trying to control the anger in his voice.

“Jamie,” Jess said stepping around him to face her parents. “I have made my choice, and they need to hear this from me.” He nodded, but held her hand as tight as he could without hurting her. “Mom, Dad, I know you think what you are doing is the best for me, but it is not. I will not be happy in a made up life. I am happy on our mountain.” She looked up and smiled at Jamie. “I will be getting married and to the man I love. So, you need to back off. If you want to see me again, you will be happy for me. I will live on the mountain, that is my home now. I am asking you to respect that decision. Give the business to Warren, or better yet, sell it to him, he can afford it and then retire. I really don’t care what you do. As for me, I am going to my home with Jamie and live the life I always dreamed about with a family that loves me.”

“You think we are doing this because we don’t love you?” Betsy said and Jess could tell her mother was holding back tears.

“I think you don’t know what true love is. Yes you love me because that is what good parents are suppose to do, love their children. But since being on the farm, I have felt my Heavenly Father’s love, I have felt the love of a good man, and I have felt the love of his family. So, what you think is love, is not real love.”

About that time the detective Jess had talked to inside came out and approached them. “Mr. and Mrs. Robinson?”

“Yes!” Charles snapped.

“If you will come with me, we have some questions for you.”

As they drove back to the mountain, Jamie slipped the ring back on Jess’ finger. “There, where it belongs.”

“They took it off of me when I was knocked out. Or I would have never let them.” Jess said with tears in her eyes.

“I know.” Jamie said as he brought her hand to his lips and kissed it. “I never doubted your love.”

“How did you find out so quick that I was gone?”

“Caleb saw them take you and ran all the way to the cabin.” Jamie said with a smile, “Poor guy, I don’t think he caught his breath until we reached Uncle Carl’s house.”

“Well, I think I owe him something. How about a pie, cookies or something?”

Uncle Carl laughed, “He is my grandson. He will love anything sweet!” They all laughed.

A few minutes later they had all settled down and Jess had nestled into Jamie’s arms as they sat in the back seat for the drive to the mountain. She felt like she was home already.