#16 On Marriage

"Seriously, this is where you want to be on a date?" Luke asks me while a young penguin cutely slaps his tummy with his fins in front of us.

"This is fun! And no one from either of our packs will be here," I tell him.

"Wonder why that is," he mutters sarcastically.

I throw him a glare before checking on Ben and Claire who are glued to a corner seat since we entered the aquarium and have been making out. Don't they take breaks to breathe?

Ben and Claire also needed an escape from everything going on around us, so we turned this into a group date. But the date part is what Luke and I are doing. Those two are just hooking up.

I turn my attention back to the cute penguin and take a photo of him with my point and shoot camera.

"You know these days we have high-quality cameras in our phones, right?" Luke says.

I wave my camera. "Nothing as high quality as this."

"I didn't know you liked photography."

"It's a little known hobby of mine," I tell him before dragging him to see the seals next.

After seals, we go to the coral reef display. While I try to count how many species of fishes are in the tank, I notice four girls looking our way.

Looking at Luke, to be precise.

It's the usual checking out a hot guy pastime that girls do, nothing Claire and I haven't done ourselves.

"Looks like some prefer looking at you than at the fishes," I say to Luke.

He looks at me before looking at where I'm looking at.

As soon as he sees them, the girls lowkey squeal and giggle uncontrollably.

I kinda miss checking out random hot guys like this. Ever since I found my mate, although I can still acknowledge a good looking guy when I see one, it's not exciting anymore to see a handsome man.

The only guy that makes me feel something is Luke.

"They're cute," Luke says teasingly as he turns his attention back to me.

"You used to try to make Katie jealous like this, too?" I ask.

He raises his eyebrows. "Where did that come from?" he asks. He looks surprised by the question.

"Don't know," I tell him. "Just asking." And I really don't know where that came from.

You know how sometimes you're talking about one thing and then your mind brings up something else from the past? That's how I'm feeling like now as I suddenly remembered that he used to date someone else before me.

"No," he answers. "And I'm not the only one who dated before us happened," he says.

Now it's my turn to raise my eyebrows. And I make sure to raise them high enough.

"Sorry," he quickly mumbles. Bringing up Katie is different from bringing up Andy now. After everything that happened.

"It wasn't easy on me either, to see you with someone else," Luke says.

"I know," I tell him. "But it's not just that. Ben and Claire have been with others before. And so have been you. Granted I went on a couple of dates with Andy, that's all it ever was. I feel left out."

Luke laughs. "Well if it's any comfort to you know that any and every relationship one might've had before they met their mate mounts to nothing," he says.