Chapter Four

Enterprise's sickbay is designed to be both utilitarian and comforting, and the two goals subtly manifest their conflicting natures in every aspect of the suite of rooms. Soft indirect lighting almost overcome by flashing monitors over the beds. The hush produced by sound-deadening carpet and wall coverings interrupted by unsettling beeps, chirps, and moans from unseen machinery. And everywhere, the dim but still tangy odor of disinfectant, a hallmark of doctors for centuries.

Beds are arrayed around the room, narrow padded platforms, mostly empty. On one of them, Jean O'Connor is only now regaining consciousness, a thin blanket covering her to the neck. She is very pale. McCoy, Kirk, and Spock stand around her.

Flynn stands back, out of her line of sight, biting his lower lip and frowning. He insisted on accompanying them to sickbay over McCoy's vehement protests, refusing to answer all questions en route.

"There, there, Lieutenant," McCoy murmurs as he pats her hand. His gruffness has mellowed; now he's the doting father, the concerned uncle, the caring doctor. "You're just fine, you just had a little fainting spell, that's all."

She looks embarrassed, but manages a wan smile. Then she sees Kirk.

"Captain," she says, blushing deeply, "I'm so sorry, it was so unprofessional."

Kirk smiles reassuringly. O'Connor is fairly new on board. He can imagine what she feels like. Probably scared enough just having to talk to him, let alone right after behavior he doubts jibes with her idea of how a security officer behaves.

As gently as he can, he says, "It's all right, Lieutenant. Could have happened to anyone. But can you tell me what upset you so much?"

"It's so silly, really. I've just been having these dreams lately, and for a second when I looked into the conference room, I thought I saw a mon...a..." She visibly shudders.

Kirk glances up at Spock, who shrugs slightly. "That you saw a what, Lieutenant?"

She shakes her head, looking simultaneously frightened and even more embarrassed.

Flynn shifts slightly. His clothing rustles enough to make a slight sound, causing O'Connor to look around. Catching sight of him, she gasps sharply.

"A monster," he says quietly, sadly, when he notices she has seen him. His voice is strangely choked-sounding, like he is feeling some echo of a distant pain. "You thought you saw a monster, didn't you, Jean?"

She blanches, her high color draining as if someone had opened a plug, or perhaps a vein. Her eyes widen and she scrambles backward, away from him, almost climbing McCoy. "No, no, don't let him get me..."

"Damn you!" McCoy hisses at Flynn as he presses a hypo to her neck. She slumps, and he lays her gently back onto the table. "What are you trying to do, send her into shock? Get the hell out of my sickbay!"

"A monster?" Kirk says. "What...?"

He is too bewildered to pay much attention to either McCoy or O'Connor. He rounds on Flynn.

"How did you know her name? Flynn, do you want to tell me what the hell is going on here?"

Flynn sighs and shakes his head ruefully.

"No, Captain, I do not, not at all. But I don't suppose I have much choice, do I?"

"I met her when I was on a mission, a long time ago. She was just a child then."

Kirk glances questioningly at Spock, who raises an eyebrow, but says nothing. Flynn looks only a few years older than O'Connor, if that. Kirk thinks of hundred year-old gaps in the ship's records.