Chapter Thirty-Three

"So long, Sulu," Kirk says to the face in the viewer. "Nice working with you again."

The Federation-sponsored free elections are scheduled to take place in a week. Excelsior and Indomitable will remain in orbit, reinforced by two other starships that arrived yesterday, to supervise and ensure that there is no attempted coup by the deposed dictator's party. Enterprise is leaving for much-needed repairs, taking Ocht back to stand trial.

The Romulan and Klingon ships limped off as soon as they could. There were no threats of any sort of reprisals, no posturing of any kind. When push comes to shove, Kirk suspects that neither really want war with the Federation any more than it wants war with them.

And possibly the demonstration of the new phaser—and of the abilities of augmented humans—would give them something to think about for a while.

Having seen augments in action, Kirk is taking no chances that Ocht will escape. He toyed with the idea of keeping him drugged, but gave that up as both unethical and impractical for an augment. He wishes that he knew what the hormonal deactivation key was, but he was unable to discover that from the remains of Ocht's labs—the invasion had unfortunately started while the last fight was going on.

Instead, the prisoner is in the maximum security brig, guarded by four of the best security people aboard the ship as well as two unusual "guards"—robots that Scott rigged up that should be a match even for an augment. At least long enough for the guards to shoot him. Meanwhile, McCoy has been hard at work trying to find a replacement for the deactivation hormone.

"The pleasure is mine, Captain," Sulu says, smiling. "My crew is convinced now that whenever we want some excitement, we should look you up."

He smiles. "Look me up anytime. Kirk out."

"Bayou standing by, Captain," Uhura says.

"On screen." Montenegro's face appears. She has evidently decided to keep the changes she made on Athena. She is almost beautiful, and, for the first time since he has known her, she looks relaxed, even happy.

"We're leaving now, Captain," he says. "I wanted to say good-bye and thanks for your help."

"I should thank you," she says, smiling at him. "I can finally stop looking over my shoulder for Ocht's assassins now, thanks to you getting me involved in all this."

"So what's next for you?" he asks. "Not to beat around the bush—you're a wolf among sheep. I'm curious as to what you plan."

"Why surely," she says playfully, " you don't think that one lonely augment can cause any trouble, do you?"

He smirks, and she laughs, an easy, happy sound.

"You don't need to worry about me," she says. "Once you filed your report, I got a call from Starfleet Command, wanting my services. I guess to replace Flynn."

"And?"

" I told them to get lost, of course. I'm perfectly happy being a simple, honest freighter captain."

"Honest?" he grins.

"Well..." she replies, grinning. "Mostly. And if you don't look too close."

"We won't, Captain, we won't. Best of luck. Kirk out."

He wonders how the interim government will come together. Right now there is a Federation-installed governor pro temp, backed by a rather large contingent of Federation ground troops. The elected representatives will at first serve the governor in an advisory capacity. But soon, when Ocht's machinery has been cleared safely away, they will begin the business of drafting a constitution. There will be plenty of Federation help and advice, but in the end, it is the people who will have to take the reins of their own government.

The Operative (A Star Trek novel)जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें