Chapters 5-1

Friday evening arrived faster than I would have liked. With the classes, my work in the cafeteria, and a first interview for my internship that I had to prepare for the following Monday, I had not had time to see my friends.

Victoria and I headed Downtown to Lexy's house. As the days went by, we both became more and more complicit. On the way, we took the opportunity to talk about everything and nothing in the Escalade, but neither of us discussed the subject of The Maestro. I enjoyed these little moments with her. I felt like I had stayed in a completely normal life, unlike the rest of her family. Of course, she knew everything. Why wouldn't she know? But she protected me in her own way, and I was grateful to her.

In front of Piero Residence, I saw Victoria more nervous than usual. Before entering the lobby, she turned to look around. A concern, which I did not recognize in her, crossed her face for a moment.

— "Is something wrong?" I worried immediately.

What could she be afraid of all of a sudden?

— "I have the impression that he is always there, watching us," she whispered, as if someone could hear her.

His words took my breath away, and a slight shiver ran down my spine. Silence fell. 'He.' I knew too well who 'he' was.

— "Come on, Victoria, Lexy's waiting for us. Tonight we're here to have fun."

I had to act as if nothing had happened, even if deep down it was a lie. Victoria had been waiting for this ball for a while already, not hiding her impatience for the whole week. It was out of the question that she should think of this demonic traveler for a single moment during the evening. I took her by the arm and gave her a big smile, which reassured her, at least for the moment.

Arriving at Lexy's apartment, Asarys opened the door with a completely hilarious look. She wore a huge wig with a period dress. It didn't take me long to guess that she was Marie Antoinette. I looked up to heaven. She could have chosen a character with a less tragic destiny.

— "Oh, hey girls, are you coming?" shouted Lexy from another room.

I tried to relax and regain control of my emotions by suffocating the anxiety that was growing inside me. After all, tonight I would be with Faïz, and if he kept his word, I could even hope for a dance with him. At the mere thought of being able to find myself in his arms, my stomach tied itself in knots. I immediately came to my senses so as not to arouse the curiosity of my friends, who were beginning to wonder.

— "Relax, Zoe," Asarys said, turning to me.

— "I'm a little nervous," I sighed.

Victoria gratified me with a complicit eye, understanding the reason for my condition, while Asarys giggled softly. I pushed her towards the room where Lexy was, growling,

— "There's no way I'm going to take your and Lexy's innuendo all evening, all right?"

I then passed in front of her to enter the room first, discovering a bizarre scene.

— "Oh my God, Lexy, what's wrong with your head?" I exploded in uncontrolled laughter once the shock passed.

She had put on an inflatable sumo costume. You could barely see her feet. As for her arms, they seemed tiny. Why was she imposing this ridiculous outfit on herself?

— "Go ahead, laugh. I'm original, unlike you. I will not be forgotten any time soon," she added as she approached Marie Antoinette, who was threatening.

Asarys could not help but answer her.

— "Don't count on me to get you through all the doors tonight. What about poor Lucas? Have you thought about it? Are you planning to roll together instead of dancing?"

My stomach hurt from so much laughing. Victoria had hidden next to the door to stifle her amusement.

— "You are so funny, Asarys. You could have chosen Marilyn Monroe, just to loosen up a little," Lexy protested against her friend's provocations.

— "Stop!" I shouted.

I addressed Victoria, raising my hands to heaven.

— "These girls are unbearable."

I put our bags on Lexy's bed and took out our clothes. It was time to get ready. I put on my cabaret woman's costume from the 1940s in the presence of everyone. The clothing involved nothing more than a very short, black dress, with many fringes, accompanied by gloves of the same color, while Victoria wore a Dracula costume.

— "Let's take a picture!" Asarys said, her smartphone in her hands.

— "Wait, we have to put on makeup first," I protested.

Lexy pointed us to the bathroom.