Chapters 13-1

William closed the door of the room as a precaution and spoke directly to Faïz.

— "Have there been any other accidents to note today with the fires?"

— "No, we evacuated all the inhabitants who could have been in danger with the advance of the flames."

— "So, is that what you've been doing all day? Coming to the rescue of the population?" I asked him.

— "I had to, Zoe. It is at this moment that LA needs me and the other Leviathans the most. The Sylphs also helped us a lot to slow down the progress of the fires."

— "Tomorrow, The Black Shadow will still be on the front page of all the newspapers," William said. "We, the Sylphs, will as usual be non-existent."

Faïz preferred to change the subject immediately. The fact that he was likened to a hero did not please him.

— "Let's focus on the Callis!" he objected. "We must find as many answers or clues as possible tonight."

— "About the Dome? Did you manage to make the government listen to reason?" William asked him, looking serious.

— "Just a few more months," Faïz said in a low voice. "If we don't stop The Maestro as soon as possible, the government will blow him up, and California will be reduced to ashes."

William scanned the room.

— "I could have sworn I put the book on the desk last night," he worried pointing out the location.

— "Could someone else have borrowed it and forgotten to put it in its place?" I asked in an anxious voice.

— "No, impossible," he said hastily.

He closed his eyes, trying to think about where he might be. It was then a little noise from the closet at the back of the room startled us. We looked at each other, not daring to move, then Faïz moved towards for the large wardrobe, determined to know what was in it. The anguish stopped my breathing sharply. With one hand, Faïz opened the doors wide, ready to defend himself if necessary. I lost my balance and William caught with me.

— "Damn it!" Faïz shouted. "What the hell are you doing here?"

The shocked looks of David, Lexy, and Asarys made me understand that they had heard our entire conversation. At a time when I was still looking for many answers to my own destiny, I would have to answer their many questions in the hours and days to come. Asarys got up first. Incredulous, William leaned against the office, waiting for these three individuals to recover from our discussion. Faïz, furious, threatened them with a merciless look.

— "I'm going to ask you to sit down, unless you prefer to leave the room and forget everything about our recent confidences," William proposed in a calm tone.

All the three of them looked at each other silently and decided to come and sit on the bed. I understood then that they did not intend to leave it at that.

— "Great!" regretted Faïz, annoyed as he raised his hands to heaven.

Asarys looked at me, not knowing what to say. I had the impression that she was angry with me. David held the Callis out to William with a shamefaced look.

— "What did you understand from what you just heard?" asked Faïz.

My friends, more taciturn than ever, did not dare to say a word.

— "We need to talk to each other," I told them. "I'm really sorry that you're learning things this way, but you should never have been here."

— "For my part," Asarys began, "I already knew that Faïz was the one everyone talked about in the newspapers. The one who helps the population of LA."

— "I understood that the Dome may soon self-destruct," continued Lexy hesitantly.

— "And apparently, we are all in great danger. Something very serious is about to happen. The book could be a kind of procedure to follow, if we can decipher its codes," concluded David.