| ᶜʰᵃᵖᵗᵉʳ ⁰⁵ |

( s2, ep 08  — rose )

.--------------.

HOURS PASSED AFTER SERENA AND ELENA WERE LEFT TO SIT AND THINK ABOUT THEIR INEVITABLE DOOM. Elena sat and contemplated the sacrifice that she supposedly needed to die in to break the sun and moon curse whilst Serena couldn't help but be distracted by her ever-growing headache that seemed to only be getting worse from the combination of the wound in her neck, the weird witch drug that remained travelling around her veins preventing her from doing anything useful and the stress of a bloody Original being invited to their doorstep.

Suddenly Trevor appeared in the doorway, eyes darting around before they landed on Rose who had spent the best part of the last half an hour attempting to make the house look presentable.

"He's here. This was a mistake." Trevor spoke, his breathing slightly laboured as he panicked.

"No, I told you I would get us out of this. You have to trust me." Rose attempted to reassure Trevor though her posture had visibly stiffened and she somehow seemed to have paled at the mention of the Original's arrival.

"No! He wants me dead, Rose."

"He wants her more." Rose reasoned with him bravely, putting her hand on Trevor's shoulder in comfort.

"No, I can't do this. You give them to him and he'll have mercy on you but I need to get out of here." Trevor pleaded to Rose, waves of distress rolling off of him.

"Hey, stop. What are we?"

"We're family." Trevor paused as he took a deep breath, "Forever."

A bittersweet feeling emerged in her gut as Serena watched the scene before her and was reminded of her own family. She didn't grow up with parents who loved her unconditionally and wanted the best for her. She never had a mother who taught her to braid her hair or gave advice about boys and school. She didn't have a father who taught her to ride a bicycle or to swim or how to stand up for herself. She had to learn that on her own, and then had to raise her younger sister.

No wonder things had gone wrong inside her. Karma for being born as she was, she supposed.

Serena's thoughts were cut off by a loud knock that echoed from the front of the house to where the group waited. Immediately Serena looked to Elena only to find the girl was already staring at her with wide eyes and a worried expression.

Rose turned to Trevor and grabbed his hands, "Stay here with them and don't make a sound." She was quick to move after that, evidently not willing to anger the Original any more than necessary.

Trevor, Elena and herself stood in silence for a moment longer before the vampire took himself aside and closed his eyes in what seemed like a last plea to any of the supposed Gods above for mercy.