Injury - James Aubrey

scoutsofty THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THE - oops sorry. Thank you so much for the request it was adorable!

⚠️Warnings: military family reader, mentions of Iran war, mentions of children and soldiers exploding (never explicitly stated), land mines

"Jaaaaaaames!!" I groan from the passenger seat.

"What? What?" He asks looking over to me quickly.

"If, you, drive ANY slower.... we are neveeeeer going. To. Get. There." I groaned poking his arm roughly at the end.

"Look don't blame me for being cautious! I just don't want anyone to get hurt!" He says defensively and I roll my eyes.

"James Aubrey we are quite LITERALLY going to the middle of fucking no where. You can drive a liiiiiitle faster." I say looking over at him.

He groans and speeds up. "James!" I screech causing him to flinch.

"What woman?!"

"One mile an hour is not. Speeding. Up!!" I yell and he laughs. "I'm serious. This is my first solo case I don't wanna be late thanks to you. Dr. Brennan is counting on me!" I groan making a pouty face.

He looks over at me and I see he's wearing thin. "Oh- no.... no don't give me that look." He groans looking back at me. "Y/n you know I can't resist the look. Don't.... dont-" I continue holding back a smirk. "Gah fine!" He says speeding up.

I giggle quickly pecking his cheek and trying to ignore the heat in my cheeks. Truth is I've always like James but I have to hide it. He's into the badass chick type, not the nerdy 'squint' as Booth would call us.

But it's alright because he's my best friend and that's better than nothing, and after years hiding a love for your best friend is easy.... enough.

I've worked with Dr. Brennan for a very long time and still I wasn't often sent out on my own, I just didn't like it. It made me to anxious knowing everything was my job, if I didn't document EVERYTHING perfectly it could mean a case being falsely closed.

I bit my lip as I triple checked the list in my hands. I hadn't realized we had stopped driving. "Y/n." I hear James whisper softly and feel a warm hand on my chin. He turns me to look at him using his thumb to pull my lip from in between my teeth.

"Don't do that your lip could swell or bleed alright? Everything's going to be fine, it's you after all. You've got this." I smile at him playfully rolling my eyes.

"Thanks mom." He rolls his eyes.

"Last time I acted like the dad you practically cried. So I figured gentle pep-talks where more your speed." He says grinning. I nod remembering when he practically screamed at me in an attempt to motivate me. Which resulted in him holding me for an hour and a half because I was upset.

But it just made me love him more, and that was a problem. But no matter what he was my friend and nothing more, I know that.

As we arrived to the scene I was forced to wait in the car until James walked all the way around the car and opened my door with a bow.

"M'lady." He said smirking.

I gasp faking shock, "why thank you kind sir!" I chirped taking his hand and he just smiled at me. We walked to the sight and I admit I didn't like the feeling in my gut.