Chapter 23 - Anger & Trials

The bright sun shines through the many windows of the guild. It was early in the morning so there were only a few people. However, more people come in by the second. Inside the guild, the bar was almost empty. Mirajane Strauss stood at the bar wiping some glasses and getting ready for many orders to come throughout the day. Sitting at the bar sat Gray Fullbuster. He was watching other members of the guild and was observing what they were doing. Across the bar sat many wooden tables. At one of these tables sat Natsu Dragneel. He was waiting for a certain someone to enter the building. Lisanna Strauss day at the same table, wondering why her love interest wasn't paying attention to anything she was saying.

The only people missing from the guild were the lovely couple who returned from their training a month ago. The couple was still enjoying their slumber at the special spot from last evening. They finally confessed their love to each other. It was a fun night for them both. It was perfect for them, they thought.

Slowly, Natsu was losing his patience with the white haired girl right beside him. Eventually, he had enough and left her at the table. He was walking to the bar when a bright light was shining throughout the guild. He turned around to see that the guild door was opened. Looking closer, he found the person he was most wanting to see. However, someone else beat him into talking to her. Well, this person just screamed in general.

"OH MY GOSH! YOU DID IT! YOU ACTUALLY DID IT ROSS! YOU FINALLY ASKED HER OUT! AHHHH! YOU GUYS ARE SO CUTE! EEK! I NEED TO BREATHE!" Mira shouted across the guild. There was a minute of silence before roars of happiness broke out.

Everyone was congratulating the new couple. Well, everyone but one person. Natsu stood still from where he was, seething of anger. That should be me. He had enough of the congratulations and stormed his way up to the couple. He grabbed the brunette by his collar and pulled him face to face.

"Oi! Natsu-" Gray shouted.

"Natsu! Stop!" Lucy cried out.

"Shut up everyone!" Natsu yelled. He was a volcano of anger. He brought his attention to the brunette he grabbed. Instead of panic or fear on his face, Kage had a calm and almost a smirk appeared. Natsu only grew more irritated at the brunette.

"Who do you think you are? Huh?! You just waltz up here with Luce and think that's alright! Well get in the back of the line because I stood by her first. You're nothing but a bastard. I'm stronger than you. I can easily beat you. And I might without any hesitation. You think you're so cool and almighty. No, you're not. You got Luce. But I had her first. You taking Luce from me was a dirty move. She's not yours, but mine. So get out before you realize that you don't belong here, Ross. Or is that even your real name." He was raging over the fact that the girl he wanted most chose someone else. He then let Kage go and looked at the blonde. "Why? Why him? I said I'm sorry! Please! I'm sorry! But please, he's nothing. We were better. Please!" He begged the girl, thinking that she would accept his feelings.

Lucy stood there embarrassed. She didn't know what to say. She also felt second hand embarrassment for the fire mage. She was going to speak when someone beat it to her.

"Wow. Just wow. You say you stood by her first, which you're not wrong. You did. But you left her. You gave the opportunity for her to leave. So she took it. She was not yours to begin with. Calling your partner weak is totally the move. It's so cool that they leave and find a new partner. And that you think that you could just take them back. Oh, but that's where you're wrong. You mistreated her. She deserves better. Now, am I going to be with her til the very end? No, but I'm gonna make sure that she gets the happiness she deserves. I'm not going to leave her side. Not at all. So I don't know what you're talking about for 'taking your Luce', but as far as I know, you're not the one dating her. And no, I'm not gonna leave. This is home. Home is where the heart is. And I know where mine is. And no. Ross isn't my real name. Kage is. But I learned that all given gifts should be appreciated and that people shouldn't try to change who you are. So sorry bud, but I ain't going anywhere." Kage finished. He grabbed Lucy's hand and let her lead him outside.

There was an awkward silence before Natsu stood back up. He looked up to meet thousands of eyes staring at him. But he didn't care. All he cared about was getting the girl he loved back. Soon, Natsu was hit in the head by the barmaid.

"Why? Why can't you be happy for them? Why do you want Lucy? She's happy. Can't you see? Why can't you let them be?" Mira shouted at him. He only scowled and yelled back.

"Because I want to be that source of happiness! Why did she choose him? I want to be where he is. And I will get there. I swear. Take sides now, but I'm not gonna stop until I get everything back to normal."

"What is normal for you? Why do you want everything to go back to the way it was?" It was now Levy's turn to yell at Natsu. Without realizing it, the couple had gone back into the guild.

"Enough! I have news for everyone so hush!" Master had said standing on the railing. "As you know, it is time for the S-Class trials. The following with participate: Gray Fullbuster, Mest Grynder, Natsu Dragneel, Juvia Lockster, Elfman Strauss, Freed Justine, and Levy Mcgarden. You may choose one partner that is not currently an S-Class mage. Please choose your partners wisely and pack. We will leave a week from now." He said as he walked back in his room.

The guild was abuzz hearing the news of the trials. Natsu shot up from his seat. He thought of a brilliant idea. Because none of the lovebirds were chosen for the trials, now would be a perfect time to ask Lucy to be his partner. Maybe this would be a perfect time to bring things to the way it was. He looked around the guild for the blonde, but didn't see any looks of her. He only growled when he saw her lover boy.

Apparently, Gray asked Kage to be his partner. And of course, Kage didn't turn him down. Besides Lucy and Kage growing close, the next closest pair with any of the two would be Gray and Kage. They act like childhood best friends even though they only met a month ago.

Lucy went back home because she grew tired. Kage asked if she wanted him to go with her but she refused and told him he could stay if he wanted. She wanted to get out after all that happened between the new couple and the angry fire mage. She didn't think that Natsu actually hated Kage. But now that it happened, things won't go the same. Everyone knows that.

She opened the door to the empty apartment. She sat down on the couch and grunted.

"Today was odd."

Suddenly, there was a knock at the door. Lucy got up and walked to the door and opened it only to see the one and only.

"Cana, what are you doing here? Are you okay?" Lucy brought her inside the share apartment. Cana only looked down.

"I'm going to quit the guild."

Silence.

"What?!" Lucy yelled.

"I'm going to quit the guild. If I lose this year's trials, then I won't be in Fairytail anymore." Cana explained.

"Can I use your bath?"